1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

General Neck Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by p12bassnut, Apr 10, 2010.

1. p12bassnut

p12bassnut Be wierd Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2009
    DFW Metroplex
    Does a straighter (less relief) neck generally equate to a lessened chance of the neck warping or twisting in the future?
    Thanks

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've never heard of any such relationship.

Riis

3. p12bassnut

Aug 27, 2009
    DFW Metroplex
    Okay, what could cause a neck twist and/or warp ?

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Woods (maybe improperly dried?), design, climate changes...the list goes on. Are you having a problem with a particular instrument?

Riis

5. Leaving the bass in your car, parked outside in the hot sun all day. Ask me how I know. :rollno:

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    No.

7. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    As stated in the posts above, both environmental conditions (drastic changes in temperature and/or humidity) and material conditions (improperly dried or unstable lumber) can cause a neck to twist. Sometimes it manifests itself quickly (like leaving the bass in your trunk) and other times a twist can develop over a period of years as the wood dries out.

Back to your original question: a neck having little or no relief isn't necessarily more stable but a neck with excessive relief requiring extreme truss rod adjustment to straighten may be an indicator of future instability.

8. p12bassnut

Aug 27, 2009
    DFW Metroplex
    No problem, I am just curious about the dynamic relationship between the string tension, neck construction and neck relief.
    I know there's a lot of physics involved -unfortunately of which I have little knowledge- and it is an interesting subject.

I would love to hear from anyone with such knowledge.

9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    With Fenders, I have found that the parger P necks are more stable than someof the smaller J necks especialy with blocks

I'm assuming that this is due to lesss wood to offer structural support and am basing this on basses that I have owned