1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz-Benz Cab or GK?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by andy6126, Nov 4, 2013.

1. andy6126

andy6126

Aug 31, 2004
    Chicago
    Has anyone compared Genz-Benz NX2-112T or STL-12T to a Gallien Krueger Neo 112 or MBE 115? I'm using GK's MB500 head. I'm trying to go light weight. I have the Neo 112 on the way but am reconsidering my options. My other consideration was the Aguilar SL-112 but it seems a bit pricey.

2. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    I've got the Neo 212 Uber...blows EVERYONE away everywhere I take it...(it's especially popular at jams..."wow, I had NO idea my bass could sound like THAT"...

3. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I have both a neox 212 and uber 212. I honestly can't imagine any other cabs matching what I get out of them. I'd go Genz without blinking.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    GK cabs work very well with their amps. I would stick with the GK you already ordered.

5. sonix

sonix

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit
    i have the genz benz shuttle 6.0 and i love it. i am using it with the full circle.

can you try out these combo amps before buying? i actually tried the genz benz when i was buying a GK from a craigslister. ended up walking away thinking that i need the genz benz.

a few tricks for picking amps/cabs, use the open G to choose the volume. then play on the D and G strings. Then move on to playing the A and E strings. typically with pick-ups the sound on lower strings will be a bit more "unnatural".

also pay attention to the volume even-ness. do these experiments with the EQ flat. if you are happy then try messing with the eq and see how it sounds.

best if you have a friend who plays and you just listen and tweak the amp.

another trick is to record your practice for a few weeks and listen back. then when picking the amp you have a bit of a reference. ofcourse this means that you have a decent recording and playback setup. the amp ofcourse cant get better than the pickup

6. andy6126

andy6126

Aug 31, 2004
    Chicago
    Interestingly, I thought I'd try the genz benz via guitar center and return either it or the GK setup but Genz Benz is hard to come by. I called them and they said they aren't currently building anything as design and operations are consolidated. Sort of disappointing once I made up my mind to try GB.

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Although there are some GB amps out there, unless someone goes in and lifts the company out of it's current funk, there going to disappear into the ether. Guitar Centers are very "regionally biased", so here in St. Louis, Genz Benz didn't have a presence in their stores.

Ric

8. Stick with the GK 112. It's a great cabinet for the money. A pair of those with your MB500 will make a killer rig that is easy to transport!

9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    While the MB500 is good EB amplifier, it's definitely got an EQ section that's less desirable for Double Bass. It wouldn't be one of my first or even fourth, choices for DB. Acoustic Image, Euphonic Audio, Genz Benz, and TecAmp heads are probably the top four, at the upper end of the spectrum, while the GK MBS and Markbass Big Bang are among the most economical. With those little Traynor's being the least costly. Just my take though. The GKMB200 actually sounds better with DB, IME, IMO, but it's not got a lot of headroom.

Ric

10. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    +1 Ric knows well of what he speaks.:)

Andy, since you are in Chicago, I's recommend going over to Bass Club Chicago and checking out the Bergantino Neo cabinets. Might be a bit pricey, but they sound real good. The CN212 is on my wish list right now, I auditioned it and was very impressed.

http://www.bassclubchicago.com/

11. andy6126

andy6126

Aug 31, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks, I was actually waiting til they got the Aguilar SL 112 in to check that out at Bass Club. I'll have to try the Bergantino. The GK and GB experiment was nice because it was via guitar Center online and I could return anything to a GC store.