1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pilgrim, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The Shuttle 9.0 thread has been going on for some time, and I thought all of us who have the 6.0 should have a place to discuss and complement it.

I've changed from a Sunn Coliseum-300 with 70 to 90 pound cabs; now I'm using a Shuttle 6.0 docked on a single 12T, with another 12T that I can connect when needed. The change has been wonderful...and the Sunn is strictly a backup head now.

The first time I connected to a Shuttle 6.0 was at a gig put on by a music store - and I darn near blew myself off the stage. I and all the band were amazed at the volume and depth coming out of a single 12" speaker. I finished the gig and told my wife "I know exactly what I want for Christmas - that Shuttle 6.0 and a pair of the 12" speakers". That's what I got, and the heavy cabs were sold within a week.

To date, I've only needed the second 12" speaker once - when we played a gig in a horse barn 200 feet long. Even then, I had gain and headroom to burn.

It's a fantastic amp and cab setup, and it's something that is bound to attract lots of us boomers who are tired of lugging heavy cabs. The number of G-B Shuttle owners here on TB is ample evidence.

2. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I appreciate mine everyday

6.0-210T (combo)

Sounds so good you wanna slap your mamma

3. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    Ditto! I play mine through an Aguilar 112 and cannot get enough of the sweetness. Such a great sounding and powerful 4 lbs!

4. I've got the same setup, 6.0 with 210T combo. I find it plenty fine for small to med gigs. I use it for my recording setup as a DI as well.

5. Psycho

Psycho

Jun 24, 2008
    I'm getting a Shuttle 6.0 and a 410 cab soon once I get the money, the sheer fullness and tone I get from that sucker is just amazing. Blows my LD115 out of the water, that thing has nothing on Genz Benz.

:bassist:

6. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I have a 6.0/12t that I have been using on the majority of my gigs lately. I really like the sound and the fact it is so light.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

One thing that surprises me is that a lot of people seem to feel that they need the extra power of the Shuttle 9.0. So far I haven't had to crack the master gain on my Shuttle past 9:00, and that's playing with two guitarists and drums....so for me, there's a lot of power in reserve. I play in a surf band which doesn't have to be ear-splitting, but we're definitely loud enough to dominate the venues.

8. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I suppose it depends on your band and how loud you play. We're the typical "classic rock" band and even doing an outdoor show over the summer the soundguy had me and my shuttle 6.0/Neox212t barely in the subs and was telling me I was overpowering everyone. I've always had more than enough power.

The 9.0 is voiced differently than the 6.0 I hear, a little less roll off on the bottom end. But I like a tight bottom anyway, and don't need or want a massive low end, so the 6.0 is perfect for me.

9. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    they are cute , my 9.0 waves hello :D:bassist:

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If you are playing with larger cabinets, something like our NeoX or Uber series, using the LF Boost switch actually extends the low frequency response. We called this feature "LF Extend" on the GBE series but some folks found it confusing.

If you use the LF extend withthe STL cabinets, the difference is pretty small and if you really pound on the amp there is the possibility that you will run out of headroom more quickly.

11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I got my Shuttle 6.0 to play backup to my beloved NeoPak, but I'm loving the little Shuttle more and more.

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Your NeoPak was the precursor to the Shuttle series. Many of the Shuttle's performance concepts were "birthed" during the NeoPak project.

13. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    I bought a Shuttle 6.0 to replace a quirky Eden WT400, and at first had problems dialing in my sound, but when I got a Bergie HT112/EX112 mini stack found out the Shuttle has much more headroom and compliments the mid punch the Bergie puts out. The Eden WT400 would go thermal (shut down for a second or two) when I would take loud solos.

I'm sold now, still tempted to upgrade to a Shuttle 9.0 so I can
    run at 8 ohms with more punch and never have to worry about
    headroom again

Phil, Tucson AZ

14. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Love my Shuttle 6.0 through my Avatar B410 Neo and Trace Elliot 1084H!

15. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    I got tired of lugging around a heavy rack and planned on replacing it with a 6.0 or 9.0.
    Lucked into an excellent deal on a 6.0-12T combo and I think I'm in love. The combo is great for small venues and friendly jams at the family get-togethers. The 6.0 drives my Kustom G810-H great. Plenty of headroom, and the Shuttle head is about 50# lighter than my rack. :hyper:

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    When traveling light, I take my ~3.75 lb Shuttle 6.0 in a briefcase with cables, music stand, standlight, and music. On my back is a gig bag with my instrument, strap, spare strings, bass stand, etc. With my Epifani UL210 cabinet in one hand, the bass on my back, and the briefcase with Shuttle over my shoulder. I have a hand free for opening doors, hailing a cab, whatever. Single carry and killer sound!

17. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    Love mine! I have received so many compliments from sound men and recording engineers alike!

18. I gig my Shuttle 6.0 and GB NeoX212T regularly and love it,but for the larger gigs I use my Aggie GS-412 and Preamp Rack setup.
    Not trolling here but I don't think that I could ever be happy with a single 12 and I dont understand how you can really get a good deep bass out with a single 12.
    I have been using the House PA for support along with my stage cab but the PA just doesnt seem to capture my tone like my bass cabs do.
    We just did a small gig and I could hear something farting out when I would play the open B then fretted D and E on my 5 string and I thought that maybe it was the cab so I set it up the next day in my garage with the Shuttle 6.0 and NEOx212t still set exactly the same and it sounded great and infact the cab still had plenty to go before it thought about farting out.
    I will never sell my 6.0 or Neox 212t.

19. Not to jack this 6.0 thread, but a quick question, agedhorse: is the same LF contour used in signal-shaping section of the Shuttle 3.0?

20. So it was the PA farting out?

I was about to go with a Shuttle 6.0 to pair with my NeoX212T but then I found a great deal on a new 9.0 for less than the price of a new 6.0, so I went for that instead. I'll still be interested though to hear everyone's thoughts on the 6.