1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genzler Amplification Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Discount Saint, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Hey all friends. This is a little off topic, but I figured I'd ask it here because, let's face it, this is the best group on Talkbass, right?

My band is DIY producing our first record right now, and so far it has been going really well, however out of the blue Logic has started to get a little screwy. We're worried that the project has become corrupted and we may have to re-do all of our mixing, which would obviously be a massive pain in the ass.

Are there any online resources, maybe similar to Talkbass that we could find some support for what is going on?

Or if anyone here is particularly knowledgeable about this kind of stuff we would love to talk to you.

2. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Fred312b and Loring like this.
  3. NighthawkGS

NighthawkGS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Bezerkeley, CA
    Does anyone (hello, @Jeff Genzler ;) know what the HPF cutoff frequency is with the Drive Channel, say, set at noon on the gain? Is it more complicated than that?

Been using my MG800 exclusively for maybe four months, but very little with the drive Channel, which seemed to remove low end. However, now I WANT to remove low end content, to allow me to boost the bass EQ knob with my bergantino CN112s.

I've never even begun to consider using distortion with bass, but... I did find that boosting the gain made my markbass LM 250 much more usable. So... hopefully the drive channel will give me that Genzler club number. :)

I also use Contour B (10am), and a big mid boost at 1000 Hertz (approximately 2pm on the frequency knob, 2pm on level).

My fdeck stage 2 took a stage dive and is out of service, before ever seeing a real stage or even band room. ;(

Thanks!

4. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    That’s a lot of mid boost!

Using two pickups? That can scoop the mids. You may want to try mostly neck and add bridge till you get just the right amount of growl...

Or you could go the other way - all bridge and just dial in enough of the neck to soften some of the snarl.

5. NighthawkGS

NighthawkGS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Bezerkeley, CA
    Yeah, that is a lot of boost... With the cn112, I probably actually keep the mid level at about 1 p.m. or 1:30 p.m. ...

Only use a 1970s P Bass... But wondering if I should switch to a J Bass.

6. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2015
    The Frozen Tundra
    Just ordered a Magellan 212T. Stoked!

7. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Anyone Mixing/Matching Genz-Benz and Genzler? I have a Shuttle 6.0 and Focus LT 1x12. It's mostly a great setup but occasionally I want a little more meat and volume, so I'm thinking of adding another 112 to the mix. From what I'm reading, it looks like the 12-3 slant may be just what I'm looking for (and may very well become my main cab, leaving the Focus for when I need the extra little bit).

Anyone paired the 12-3 with the Focus LT?

8. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Paired it with a neox - sounds good...

pjbassist, jimb213 and berman3313 like this.
  9. Can’t help directly but in a number of cases Jeff has recommended that when mixing a BA cab with a traditional one, it works best to turn off the tweeter. I imagine if you do that you’ll get the added beef you’re looking for. I’d be surprised if the BA doesn’t become your primary cab :thumbsup:

Fred312b and jimb213 like this.
  10. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    haha, well I usually run with the tweeter at -6db anyways, so turning it off won't be much of a stretch. Thanks for the tip!

Fred312b likes this.
  11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    IDK, I have a BA10-2 and an MG12T and I like the MG more. Kind of surprised that my BA10-2 hasn’t sold.

12. How much are you asking for?

13. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    $485 shipped.

14. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    What do you like about the MG vs. the BA? I had my eye on the uber cabs a few years ago (although never got to play them in person). Is the MG the "spiritual successor" of the uber?

15. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Well, it's a little unfair as I'm comparing a 10 to a 12. The 10 is really nice. More modern sounding maybe. The 12 is a little bigger cab and driver so there's a little more sound/volume and it's more full. My B string sounds awesome. I "feel" it more than with the 10. Guitar player I play with noticed and liked the difference right away. Both are fantastic cabs.

I didn't go with a BA12-3 (I did have one at one time) because it is a little bigger than I want, and I like the "taller" form factor of the MG12T cab.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  16. berman3313

berman3313 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    +10
    +12
    + Genzler = +100

17. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    Is the MG the "spiritual successor" of the uber? ---- Very nice way to word that!! I guess you could say that --- looking at the world in a lighter form factor.

xbud, pjbassist, loopee and 4 others like this.
  18. jibass

jibass Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2015
    I agree 100% with Steve's comments (and i have both BA10-2 and the new MG12TV). Also, it is a breeze to carry. I tried other quality 112 cabs, though not Genzler, and while all sounded different flavors of good, the boxy shapes that seem to be so common became awkward and uncomfortable to carry - not so at all with the MG12TV.

S-Bigbottom, MAXSPINRUN and pjbassist like this.
  19. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Jeff was uber cool before uber was cool

20. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / DARKGLASS / KEELEY / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    Such a beautiful rig! Rocking Barboursville, WV tonight!
    AB47DA4A-ACDB-456B-B2A4-1CB811A6CE1A.

xbud, pjbassist, S-Bigbottom and 16 others like this.