Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

George L's SPeaker cable

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTerd, Oct 16, 2005.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Has anyone used the George L's speaker cable to run from their amp to cab?
    I'm just curious if their speaker makes a difference the same way there guitar cables do?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I use rapco stuff, or those orange drop cords cut up into proper length and proper ends. I have not noticed a difference. Just get something that won't fall apart, and is of heavy enough gague to handle the power. As long as you have proper speaker cable with enough conductor, you'll be fine.

3. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Cable threads seem to get TBers excited. IMHO instrument cables may possibly make a difference. I think the concensus is that speaker cables don't ... only the gauge matters, and just assure that you have larger than 14 cable (I think standard ready made cables are usually 12)

4. if your looking at speaker cables

www.bayoucables.com

i got a couple from there, they are great quality and pretty damned cheap!

5. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You know I was wondering about that. Isn't the speaker cable part of the signal path also? IF so doesn't also affect the tone?
    SOme one educate me please.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yes, but one cable carries high impedance signal, the other low...so it's like apples and oranges. The high impedance signal from your pickups is more noticeably altered by a cable, especially if its a longer one. There's also an issue with how the cable is built/shielded...instrument & speaker cables are different monsters.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A superior cable can help a lot with the high impedance/low level signals of passive pickups. But the differences between 50 cent a foot and $300 dollar a foot speaker cables, measurable only with very sophistcated equipment, have never been proven to be audible.

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    The ProCo 8-Gauge cable is nice and heavy duty, and produces and audible difference from a 14 gauge. IMO, of course.

9. +1, fantastic cables!

10. I use the George L's for several connections in my signal path.
    I think if you're going to see if a cable makes a difference,
    you need to try it for the entire trip. i.e; bass>tuner>pre>amp>speaker.

Then you'll know for sure if it's making a true difference,
    otherwise you're getting "mixed signals" (pun intended).

I like the sound of the George L's.