German bow in Italy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by moyery, Aug 3, 2018.

1. moyery

moyery

Aug 3, 2018
    Hello bassist!

Just joined this forum mostly because of this dilemma that I've had for a long time and since google doesn't answer my question, I could use some advice.

I am a young student of classical double bass and facing a question of studying abroad soon (in music academy). My small problem being that I play with german bow but ideally I would like to study in Italy, because of my own personal reasons. Since italians mostly play with french bow, do I have any chances with german bow in Italy in the terms of finding a good teacher? I do realise that one could possibly play with german bow while teacher mainly uses french bow but since it's the case of my current studies, I would prefer to have a teacher who could also fully support my german bow technique.

I have managed to do a bit of research and so far I have found ONE music academy with one promising teacher who seems to be using german bow but since it's only one example and I can't find any other legitimate reasons to apply my studies with this teacher, I need to know if there are maybe more opportunities?

I do realise that my wish is a longshot and ofcourse I'm also prepared to apply my studies to elsewhere in Europe, but I still have little bit of hope left :)

2. Malten

Malten

Apr 2, 2012
    Denmark
    I don’t know about specific teachers in Italy unfortunately. But since you say that you are prepared to go elsewhere; why not Germany?!

Strangely enough I just moved to Germany last week to study with a french bow teacher.

wathaet likes this.