1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Get me higher- Will Ya!?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BuffaloBass, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Folks, I recently installed an AERO pickup in an Kingston MTB, the single pup version. Its HUGE as comapred to the oem pickup. Really nice, " Ken Smithy" even. The bass will remain passive, and although I can almost do reggae with no pre ( Aeros KILL on low end, such low Hz response!) , what I want is some more highs, for an agressive rock/funk cutting sound.

Wired throiugh a 250K tone pot and a 25M cap. I do have a PRS 500K gutiar pot here. Will that alone give it more treble? Should I change the cap at the same time? 4M maybe?

THHX!

2. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    increasing the resistance of the pot will add more treble.

not sure what you mean by 25M (mega=10^6, no such thing), maybe 25nF (nano=10^-9, this is a more common value)? This will not have as big a difference.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I think the OP read the wrong number.

4. Well the capacitor has 25 on it, my bad eyes saw it as M as in micofarad maybe?

SO the 500K pot will help. Cool. I'l solder it in. THNX!

5. my memory is that capacitors are labelled in picofarads (10^-12) , so 25M would mean... 25 megapicofarads, which is the same as 25 microfarads.

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    If you want max treble try temporarily running your pickup straight to the jack. Doing that and playing with the EQ on the amp might get you where you want to be, and it'll cost $0 (+ some time) to find out.

7. Just to be clear, is the capacitor on the tone pot? If so, changing its value cannot alter what you hear with it fully up - the cap only influences the tone in the lower half of the taper. Using a pot with a higher value will dampen the resonance less, wherever it occurs, as will wiring straight to jack (a popular suggestion around here). The most audible effect would be accentuation of the frequency the resonance occurs. Could be worth trying! My suggestion would be to use a cable with a lower capacitance rating, meaning shorter or less capacitance per foot. This will raise the frequency the resonance occurs and also start sloping off response at higher frequencies.