1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Get the most speaker on a budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by volerium, Aug 9, 2012.

1. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Need to get my hands on a new cab but I'm about dead broke. General rule of thumb as I know it is more speakers= louder so anything like a 410 or 412. Ideally an 810 would be what I want but I can't afford that at the moment.
    I've seen some of the Acoustic cabinets for around 300 and I've also seen the fender rumble 410 for 250. Says it's rated at 1000 watts too.
    Any recommendations, feedback, reviews of cabs you've used in this price range would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm running a svt pro 7 and looking for the most speaker area I can get.
    My budget is 500 tops.

2. You can get an Accoustic 810 for less than 500 brand new from Guitar center.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't take a nice amp like a 7 Pro and throttle it with the cheapest cabs on the market, bro. You don't have to get the very best and most expensive cab, either, but a cheap cab will make the best bass and amp in the world sound cheap. Therefore maybe I'd take a look at the used market. Good 410's can be had cheap, and sometimes 810's can be found cheaper since they're huge and wives hate them being in the house ;)

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 never skimp on your spkrs, and +1 shop for used gear.

5. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Best advice I've heard.. GC here doesn't carry any bass gear really. I found a used ampeg 810 about three hours north of me for $450 off craigslist. Tolex is ripped to hell but from what I've seen that's pretty normal if they're gigged a lot.
    Seems like a reasonable deal though. That sound about right to anyone else?

6. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    Yup. That is right there in the used ball park. Depending on condition, they go ~$500 give or take a bill. Tolex will be tolex. Just make sure that the speakers and jacks are solid and it sounds like you might have a winner for what you are searching for.

7. I bought my Hydrive 4x10 Cab for 375 used in mint condition. It ts rated at 1000 watts, and is good enough for Victor Wooten after many cab road testing. Plus They are very LIGHT!

8. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    7 pro into ampeg refrigerator = :hyper: :D :bassist: :D :hyper:

9. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Also check Craigslist for Eden D410XLTs. $400-500, loud, and sound great.