1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

getting a cab recovered

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcphockey16, Apr 10, 2009.

1. i have a cab with worn out carpet on it and i want to get it recovered with some kind of crazy tolex or something. has anyone gotten a cab recovered? where could i get it done?

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    ....and it would be recovering from?

< sorry >

Check out upholstery shops - ones that do boats, motorcycle seats, etc.

3. TUT2222

TUT2222

Sep 16, 2008
    Englewood, FL
    I redid a Hartke 4x10 with Rhinoliner(or whatever the auto supply carries.) Just stripping the old carpet off and prepping took way too many hours. Mine is a flakeboard cab, and big flakes came off when pulling off the carpet. I'll bet I put 30 hours into refinishing it. I know you said Tolex, but you still need to have a good cab to start with.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If you are "handy" do it yourself, it's not that hard.

Paul

5. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I rhinoliner'd one too. Pretty simple, I wouldn't waste the money to have some one do it unless I wanted a weird color.

6. Magical_Merlin

Magical_Merlin

Nov 2, 2008
    Kent, WA
    Is there an easy way to strip the carpet off of a cab?

7. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Not really. But there is adhesive remover to get the glue and leftover fibers off after you rip the carpet off. If possible, avoid the problem TUT2222 mentioned. Particleboard gets pretty badly torn up taking carpet off. Restoring a flat surface, suitable for painting, rhino liner or tolex (which shows surface dings if not filled) can really take up time. If you have particleboard, you may be better off to put on new carpet.

8. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    This may help in the removal of coverings: The adhesive very possibly will dissolve with lacquer thinner. I use it in a squeeze bottle with a pointy tip and a very small hole--it comes out in a narrow stream, and I can direct it. Once you get a corner up, just shoot a little solvent at the place where the covering and the wood meet, and keep working it that way. I think there will be much less damage to the wood.