1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting a New bass, need help deciding (I'm New Here)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by classix, Mar 14, 2009.

1. classix

classix

Mar 14, 2009
    Selma, AL
    hey guys, im new to the TalkBass forums. My names Will, ive been playing bass for about 5 1/2 years, and my current rig consists of, Ampeg SVT810E, Ampeg SVT450 Head (getting a new head for gradution too) and a MIM Fender Jazz bass, that ive upgraded with a BAII bridge and Fender Custom Shop 60's PU's.

So, heres the deal. :)

for graduation, im getting a new bass. i can pick pretty much w/e i want up to the $1,700 US price range.

Basically, these are the basses i WANT. i want one of THESE basses, i just need help picking out one of them. i listen to lots of indie, and love the tone in bands like:

Tokyo Police Club
    Cold War Kids
    We Barbarians

Here are the basses im trying to decide between:

MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
    Fender American Standard Precision
    A used vintage 1970's P-Bass (off ebay, or craigslist or something)
    used Fender American Deluxe P-Bass (would buy a new one, but they are $1,800 new so id have to find one used to stay under $1,700)
    Rickenbacker 4003 (off Ebay)
    vintage 1970's Gibson Ripper (off Ebay)

those are the basses im trying to decide between.
    Thanks for help.

oh yea, and the bass MUST have a maple neck/fretboard, with exception for the Rickenbacker.

2. DrPepper09

DrPepper09

Jan 22, 2009
    Denton, TX
    I would personally go with the American P bass (olympic white/maple fretboard)
    you can't go wrong with the fat sound of precision pickups

3. classix

classix

Mar 14, 2009
    Selma, AL
    ive read in a bunch of archived threads here, that if i buy a Ric, and it happened to not be my cup-o-tea (i have liked the ones that ive played), i could sell it for pretty much just a little less than what i bought it for, which means i could get a P-Bass or a Ripper if i ended up selling it.

Does anybody here have any opinions on the Ripper? or any of the other basses.

Thanks.

4. All of those basses are going to have bigger necks than what you're used to, I'm sure you're aware. I'd stay away from the Ripper and the 70's P bass. Neither are worth the money IMO. Of the ones you listed, I'd get them in this order... new American P, Ric 4003, American Deluxe P bass, Stingray, 70's P bass and then the Ripper. You'll find a lot of people who like each of these basses in their own right, but quality wise, the best deal going is the new American Fenders.

5. classix

classix

Mar 14, 2009
    Selma, AL
    The used Rippers go for less than new American Fenders.
    on ebay right now they're only..... $1150 i think.
    my interest in Rippers comes from the bassist of "We Barbarians" (favorite band) uses a Ripper live, and it sounds sick.

thanks for the help.

6. personally I would go for either the Ric or the EBMM
    you can always pickup a used P Bass down the road or get a SX P Bass copy to thrash around for dirt cheap

7. DrPepper09

DrPepper09

Jan 22, 2009
    Denton, TX
    i don't think an EBMM will get him an indie tone...

8. classix

classix

Mar 14, 2009
    Selma, AL
    as long as the tone is aggressive, bright(but also maintain the low end), punchy, and distinct, then its all good to me.
    Maybe...... post punk/indie would be better words? Interpol's bassist Carlos Dengler uses a Jazz, and The Strokes bassist i know used a EBMM at one point.

9. Well I know the dude from Tokyo Police Club (excellent band btw) uses a Precision, so I say, get the American Standard P. You really can't go wrong with a P. Or you could get a $250 Squier Vintage Modified, and put $1,450 towards college :D That's what I would do. But hey, get the bass you love and play the crap out of it!

10. classix

classix

Mar 14, 2009
    Selma, AL
    lol. thanks for the advice on college, but ive got a full ride for a 2 year community college, and then i plan on doing good enough to be able to transfer where i want and get another ride.

im leaning toward the P-bass Deluxe or the Ric. if i didnt like either one of those, i could probably sell them and use the money to just get a Standard American P-bass.

and if you like Tokyo Police Club, check out We Barbarians, they're sick.

11. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I would go for a MusicMan.

12. Trapeze Fan

Trapeze Fan

Mar 18, 2008
    San Antonio
    If I were you, and I have played hard rock and metal for 37 years, I'd ditch those choices and go with a USA Lakland. Something used off here, eBay or BassGear.com.

13. vicvon

vicvon

Dec 13, 2008
    ric

14. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    P bass baby!

15. I just got a new MIA P and love it... great tone and plays great.
    As far as the indie music... I go to a lot of those shows with my son and it seems most were playing P's a year or two ago, now they switched to J basses??? Maybe the deluxe on your list would be good to have the rear J pu.
    Seeing these bands change w/each other told me that they all kinda go where the tide is going.
    I'd get the P then graduate from college real quick and get another bass. :)

16. Definitley the MIA;) P

17. Tehrin Cole

Tehrin Cole

Mar 6, 2009
    Brooklyn,New York
    Endorsing Artist:Kustom Amplifiers
    I've had many basses,in my long career:Alembic,Musicman,Carvin,some custom-made instruments,...etc.But I've always come back home to my first love:FENDER!It was(and is)the blueprint for every innovation that you see,today.Look at ANY bass,other than Fender,and you'll see some kind of Fender design,or another.I currently am the proud owner of 3 Fender Jazz Basses:a'76 Jazz Bass(which I actually bought,back in 1976),a standard fretless Jazz Bass(1994),and I recently purchased a deluxe active Jazz Bass.Active,or passive,P-Bass,or J-Bass,fender delivers just the right sound you want,or need!It's STILL the reigning champion!Like I say to all of my beginning bass students:"You can't go wrong with a fender"!

18. classix

classix

Mar 14, 2009
    Selma, AL
    thanks guys. anything else about the basses mentioned?
    What does anybody have to say about purchasing a Ric, and if it ends up not being my cup of tea, could i resell it for enough money to get a P-bass?

19. I know it is not on your short list but have you looked at Spector basses?

20. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Rick's are worth a lot more than an American P. If you can play one, I think you might like it. A lot of bassists in the indie genre use 4003s. Especially if you can get your hands on one of the new Ricks that have the new electronics, you can get an awesome sound. If I was an indie band I'd definitely would play a Rick.