Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting a tattoo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jommit52, Aug 13, 2004.

1. jommit52

jommit52

Jul 11, 2004
    im gettin a tattoo on my lower back. i need some ideas. i was thinking something that involves music. anyways....give me some ideas please! THANKS!!!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't have any other suggestions other than a bass clef, but just remember: It's permanent. Get something you won't mind seeing for the rest of your life!

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    get a boob.

or a "Not an Entrance" sign.

4. jommit52

jommit52

Jul 11, 2004
    well, since im a female...i dont think i would want a boob on my back. i was thinking of a bass clef but i dont just want a bass clef....its gotta have something else with it...ya know??

5. Metallideth

Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    get something that means something speacial to you. I got a misfits fiend on my right shoulder. Its in memmory of cliff burton, the reason i picked up bass. Dont get something you will regret. :D

And it doesnt hurt as much as people think.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

On the lower back? Hmmm.... full length mirror, I suppose.

But wow, tattoo on lower back. Mmmm..... slurp, drool.

Lately I've seen quite a few basses beautifully airbrushed with, shall we say, female backsides.

So, why not get a backside beautifully tattooed, with, shall we say, a bass!

You know, neck and strings climbing right up the spinal column, headstock between the shoulder blades... just a thought. Of course, like Trevorus said, it oughta be a bass you really like. :)

Most of the ones I've seen recently are extended into the small of the back. And they go right down to the beginning of the ... err... crack in the backside (can I say that?).

Some of the nicest ones are the ones that don't really represent "anything", they're just artsy patterns that highlight the female shape. Although, we caught a really nice one at the Swiss festival in Whittier recently, it was a butterfly with a tail that went down each side of the butt, and wings that spread up into the lower back. That one was really gorgeous, all full of color and very nicely done.

7. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Alot of girls are getting tattoos on their lower back. And it's always one of those tribal deals. Get a tattoo of scary eyes.

8. Sheet music of your favorite song :D

I am bored so I will try and find a pic of something you might want. Music/bass related and good for lower back hmmm...

Besides I'm a Jamie, too :D

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My opinion is that if you dont know exactly what it is you want, you shouldnt tattoo it.

10. Haha, I like this one...

[​IMG]

This one you might actually want

[​IMG]

Looking for something artsy, try something like this one...

[​IMG]

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Get "www.talkbass.com" on it... or big letters "TB"!

That or as always subjected... Scooby Doo doing it

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yin-Yang, with bass clefs instead of dots. Someone from Bass101.com had one that was VERY cool. Instead of white and black, it was green and black, and around the small of her back (a little lower though). She posted here, but it was under a different name and I can't remember it, as she hasn't posted in a while. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic, so I can't show you. Very cool tattoo though.

13. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Well said, Nicholas. :rollno:

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  15. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check out www.bmezine.com for some ideas. Under Tattoo/Stories click on User Galleries, there are then sub catagories.

You could try a number of diffrent things. Chances are if you go into the shop and talk to the artists they will be able to give you more ideas than you could ever think of. Ask if they can draw something custom up for you, calaberate with them, if they are good artists they will and probablly be happier you asked. You should really go into the shop regardless and check out the artists and the portfolios and make sure you feel comfortable with your decision of going to that shop and getting tattooed by that artist. Dont settle, wether its for size or money, youll regret it later.

Think of things you could incorperate with the tatto and if you want to add on later.

16. Are you allowed to link to BME on here?

17. Here's my tat...

Oh and is this your first tattoo? You know how they say "It doesn't hurt?" Bull****.

18. Pain matters on two things:
    1) the person
    2) the locatoin

Studies have shown that women do have a higher pain tollerance on average (certain genes) but a big part of pan is conditioning. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the closer to the bone the more pain.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

After having got a few tattoo's myself i can say that make sure this will be something you wouldent mind seeing for 20 or 30 years. If you can try to bring your personality out in the art. Best of Luck with it.

20. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    One I've always thought was interesting is the 2 f holes just above the hips on either side (makes the back sortof look double bassish) That one's pretty good cuz if it's placed right it works well with the shape of the body. Otherwise, its pretty easy to incorporate a bassclef into some tribal work.

Definately go check out a few shops and talk to the artists. You really don't have to know exactly what you want. If they are a good shop they can work with you to get your ideas onto paper.

One note, generally for lower backs a roughly triangular shaope works with the top of the glutes and accents your figure whereas something in a stright line will make you look wider. (the triangle is point down, and cuverd sides can help it roll with the muscles a bit)

As far as pain goes, lower backs can be irritating, but as was said, women usualkly handle it well. (aobut ten minutes into it the endorphines kick in and its just irritationg). And yeah, generally the closer to bone the more painfull, but anywhere with a lot of nerves running under it can be unpleasant (i.e under the upper arm, the front of the neck)