1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

getting it wrong!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fev, Sep 22, 2008.

1. fev

fev

Jul 21, 2008
    Hey guys, :help:

wondering if anyone can help, I have lessons roughly once every 2 weeks but can't make this week. I'm having real issues tho' with left hand damping. I can't get it and am worried that I'm doing it wrong. As a result, I don't wanna practice it and make my tech worse. Can anyone give any advice or tell me the location of a video to help me.

Phil

ps. Had my 5 string T25 for 2 weeks now and am LOVIN it! :hyper:

2. By left hand damping are you talking about your fretting hand? If you are, try the technique of lightly dampening the strings with your ring finger and pinky and using your 1st and 2nd fingers for fretting the notes. You will obviously have to do alot of position shifts but just make sure to practice an even pressure on the muting fingers. I think I learned this technique from the Rocco Prestia video but can't remember exactly how he taught it.

3. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    I also have issues with this problem. I started using floating thumb really early on (started playing a little over a year ago) and never developed a fretting hand muting technique, which is essential for muting higher strings when moving to lower strings. Any guidance in this area would be appreciated. :)

4. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008

Pay attention to the way this guy uses his pointer finger (the whole thing, not just the pad at the very end of the fingertip). Also the plucking hand. I picture is worth 1,000 words, and the same for a video. I'll leave it at that.

Good luck.