1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ghs bass boomers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by worldsnake, Jan 25, 2012.

1. worldsnake

worldsnake

Jan 17, 2012
    Your thoughts?? Also best place to buy strings online....go!

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
  3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
  4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bass Strings Online is the only place to buy strings. He has singles and you can put together your own custom sets! Plus he destroys everybody else on price.

Welcome to Bass Strings Online - Your Custom Bass String Shop...

If you let him know you're a TB user when you sign up, you'll get better pricing. It's run by a fellow TB'er, so keep in in the family!

6. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I like Boomers, they aren't my favorite but they sound good and are well priced

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  8. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Love Boomers...

9. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Strings from major manufacturers, there is a site that sells them in their own packaging but it's the same strings. About half price from the lowest price you can find.

Webstrings Home - Guitar Strings - Electric Guitar Strings - Acoustic Guitar Strings -Bass Strings - Mandolin Strings - Banjo Strings

Be using them for years. If you ever have a bad string, they will replace it -no problem.

If you have a lot of basses and like fresh strings, this site is a god-send

Try a set - you will be happy ;)

10. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Again...check out Bass Strings Online. Not trying to shill here, but it seems that for some reason folks don't know about Jason. He sells D'Addario, GHS Bassics, and Rotosound RB's for about the same price as those no-names.....and that's before TB VIP pricing :) Plus those strings are made in the good ol' USA (or good 'ol UK for Roto!) in their own factories!

Be sure to register and include you are a talk bass member in the comments and he will set you up as a vip for special discounts automatically.

11. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I know many people like the Boomers, but for me they didn't last at all. I used to buy them back when there wasn't much else available locally, but always thought they felt like they didn't have much mass to them, and sounded pretty thin to begin with. Then the top end would be gone within an hour of playing. I switched to DR Lo Riders when they became available and was surprised to find they held their hefty, bell-like clang over a long time.

12. I strung my bass with a set of Boomers to replace a 3 year old set of D'addarios.

Four minutes later, I was digging the D'addarios out of the trash.

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    GHS boomersd are a good passable string. Kinda middle of the road type. I like DR roundcore and Rotosound swing66 better. But could see running some boomer if the other two wherent available when needed.

14. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    I've played lots of Boomers over the years. I find them to be fine strings.

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I have gigged them for 10 years. Good string, reasonable price & easy to
    find in local music stores.

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Matters not to me as I'm happy with my string supplier(juststrings.com), but my favorite set of flatwounds(GHS) is $21.95 at Bass Strings Online, and $19.73 at Just Strings.

17. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It's worth the extra minute to send Jason an email and register as a TB user to get VIP pricing before you compare prices. Also I don't think juststrings offers free shipping at any price point.

18. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Everyone has their own preferences, but here are my thouhgts on Boomers:
    Sound "broken in" right out of the box. (Good if you don't like new-string-zing.)
    Sound dead/dull very shortly thereafter. (Good if you don't like upper mid/treble.)

19. J Bass Flats

J Bass Flats

Dec 23, 2011
    D.C. Area
    ghs boomers are just that: boomy. Good for some but not for everyone. However Ghs Boomers on a guitar sound great and have have alot of upper mids.