GHS Bright Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The mind train, Aug 2, 2018.

1. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Hi all

I'm considering putting GHS Bright Flats on a fretless jazz bass.

Any opinions on that combination would be appreciated.

Linnin likes this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Buy a set and post a comprehensive review! :thumbsup:

3. Heavy Blue, SirMjac28 and trothwell like this.
  4. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Thanks for the link to the strings for sale but I'm in the UK. I would probably choose a medium guage set.

5. Keep in mind they're noticeably stiffer compared to typical rounds.

String By Mail has one of the lowest international shipping rates of all US-based online dealers.
    I live in Canada so the shipping cost has always been an important consideration, so I usually end up buying my strings from them.

I recently introduced a fellow TB member from New Zealand to SBM, who wanted to try out some GHS strings.

thabassmon likes this.
  6. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    One of my favorite string sets on fretless Jazz bass! I think they work great. I've tried the light set:

and the medium set:

I think the medium E sounds a little too dark and thuddy; I prefer the sound of the light set. But I prefer the flexibility (i.e., less flexibility) in feel of the medium set.

It's not the most traditional-sounding fretless tone; roundwound fretless is more common, for intense "mwah" and Jaco-esque playing, and flatwounds (or maybe tapewounds) might be more appropriate if you are aiming to fill the role of an upright acoustic bass. But nevertheless, I think Brite Flats on fretless Jazz bass are a good match.

Skillet and edencab like this.
  7. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Many thanks for all the info.

IveI looked into buying from Strings by Mail and even with shipping cost to UK they work out cheaper than buying from Amazon uk.

Having said that I don't know how the recent trade spat between the Trump administration and the European union will affect import tariffs.

8. I don't know about EU, but my string purchases haven't been affected so far here in Canada.

When I ordered my Brite Flats from them, I paid $21.99 USD plus $1.60 USD for shipping. So, that's $23.59 USD. No other cost.

Then a couple of days ago, I noticed they had the same set (L3075) on sale for $18.69. So, I emailed them and asked about their price guarantee policy. They promptly refunded me the difference of $3.30 USD, no questions asked.

By the way, if they don't have the set you're interested in listed on their website, send them an email. You should get a response from "Matt", who will arrange the special order for you. SBM is based in Michigan, where GHS is based, so they can order anything from GHS in a timely fashion.

Linnin likes this.
  9. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Useful to know, thanks

Shipping to the UK varies for different string makes for some reason, presumably weight, with the average being in the region of $7

I think trade tariffs may just apply to bulk importation rather than postal packs. Having said that, UK revenue once charged me £6 import duties on a piece of woodworking kit that had cost £5.

10. I'm pretty sure Trump and Junker managed to smooth things over. He was a little sore with May for backing off on Brexit. Either way you should order some Brite flats because they will make your fretless Jazz bass great again. :thumbsup:

trothwell likes this.
  11. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Sounds good.

Light or medium guage for fretless?

12. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    I suppose trade tariffs only come into play if the steel for the strings comes from China rather than Pittsburgh

13. Go by your previous experiences with gauges. The heavier ones will have more thump and punch the lighter ones will have more mwah and twang.

14. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    My other basses are an Ibanez SR 700 and an Ibanez SRX 550, both have D'Addario balanced tension mediums and sound great. I haven't taken delivery of the fretless yet I'm just planning ahead. Will almost certainly go with the GHS Bright flat mediums.

15. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    This was my experience with GHS Bright Flats; I went to this club and I really liked the band and I especially liked the bass players tone. I asked him about his strings and they were GHS Bright Flats. I ordered a set and tried them on my bass. I really liked the tension and the sound of the A, D and G strings but I hated the E string. It just felt and sounded dead. I have D'Addario chromes on my fretless and I like them. Sometime I'm going to try the Labella Low Tension Flats and the Earnie Ball Cobalt Flats.

TjMetalhead likes this.
  16. The mind train

The mind train

Jul 15, 2018
    Interesting.
    I tried out some Rotosound flats on my SR and they sounded truly dreadful, so I returned them as faulty and got full refund from Amazon. Some months later I tried another set on my homemade mahogany body fretted jazz and they sounded awesome.

17. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I like them on my fretted P5 very much!

18. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    You probably know them all already, but in case you don't, here are the best online sources for strings in the UK (Strings Direct, Stringbusters, Bass Direct, Electro Music)
    GHS Bass Guitar
    Bass Strings GHS
    GHS Strings, 4/5/6 string, Boomers, Pressurewound, Tapewound, Flatwound, Progressive, Flea, Tapercore, Brite flats :: for sale, UK, On offer Bass guitar Strings - Warwick
    http://www.electromusic.co.uk/4-String-Sets/ (site is down, no idea how temporarily)
    and the EU (Saitenmarkt, Lord of the Strings, SchneiderMusik)
    Guitar Strings - Bass Guitar Strings - GHS Strings
    Lord of the Strings
    GHS Artikel im SAITEN E-Bass 4-saitig Sätzeshop kaufen bei SchneiderMusik.de - Schnelle Lieferung - nur 99 ct Versandkosten!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  19. Which set did you try?

I ask because the 98E on the light set I'm trying out right now is anything but "dead". It rings clear and well balanced with the rest.

20. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Just to confirm, it was the Brite Flats, and NOT the Precision Flats? This sounds a lot more like the Precision Flats (as we've heard that before).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021