Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gibson basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I was just wondering what people thought about Gibson bases? I never hear much about them but obviously gibson is a high end brand , are their bases not that great? For example gibson les paul bass :confused:

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    While an excellent maker of g-tars Gibson basse never had the acclaim of their conterparts. Back in the 60's when there wasn't a lot of bass makers to choose from Gibson had their place albeit mud city and lows that became unnecessary in the early 70's. Bass players wanted something alttle cleaner and gibson basses weren"t it. most popular Gibson basses where short scale and didn't lend themselves to changing taste in bass styles and music to come later like funk and disco.

3. Yeah, when I bought a bass in 1970, awkward young sod that I was, I bought a Gibson SPECIFICALLY because just about everyone else was using Fender. I still have it now. :D :D :D

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have played a '90's Les Paul Standard bass and it was quite a bit different from the usual Fender sound. Very bottomy, which Gibson is known for, but with a Hartke 410XL it sounded pretty good, with nice note definition and retaining the low end (4-string, by the way). That said, I couldn't deal with the weight over the long term.

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Gibson basses have their fans out there. I have a T-Bird & love it. Nice sound spectrum from low to high. Not the most ergonomic bass, but it sure looks cool. Bigeest problem with Gibson basses is their quality control.

I think Helen Keller inspects each one before they go out the door.

6. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    My first bass was a very used G-3. Nice bass but traded it for a P-Bass. If Gibson, not Epiphone, would ever reissue the Grabber-Ripper series, I might just get in line for one.

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Like people have mentioned, gibsons have their fans. personally im a huge fan of the gibson Thunderbird and explorer body shape. But i dont think they sound that amzing, especially for the price.

ive heard people say something along the lines of:

"the sound of a hondo for the price of a sadowsky "

that is a bit exagarated i think though

8. Wh4len

Wh4len

Sep 12, 2006
    Malmslatt, Sweden
    I just got my Gibson Thunderbird Studio, it replaced my Ibanez BTB 405... I'm really happy with it... the balance and sustain are both incredible... the tone is really bassy, but not too bassy..... massive punch...

Never dreamed gibson would be so good...

Wh4len

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool: Just picked up a 1977 Ripper.
    Natural- Rosewood fingerboard.
    Killer, fat, big tone.
    Great for roots style music.

The T-bone Wolk tone.

10. SOMEONE GOT A THUNDERBIRD STUDIO!!!!
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

11. I have an SG-Z and like it alot. I replaced the neck pup with a TB and it sounds better than the stock pup IMO. No QC problems with mine. I think it is built really well.

12. Wh4len

Wh4len

Sep 12, 2006
    Malmslatt, Sweden
    Hehehe ^^

:bassist: It's really sweet.... i wanna get a hold of the 5 string verision too ^^

13. the thing that scares me is that even the Gibson basses on the mag ads look a little bit rough :rollno:

14. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    I get the feeling that guys who criticize all Gibson basses probably haven't actually played them. Or else they're basing it on one or two they've tried. Gibsons aren't the answer for everybody but they've made lots of models over the years that sound different from each other. I think some of them are very good, others not so hot.

15. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA
  16. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Gibson's hit/miss ratio is high considering how pricey their stuff is and how much acclaim their guitars get. Still, I really like the Gibson Grabber, Ripper and Thunderbird. Their EB series is hit & miss, I've played EB-0's with the cutaway headstock, and it sounded great (at least for stoner/doom metal stuff). The Les Paul bass, however, sounded terrible and weighed a ton, plus it looked kind of dumb. Not a fan of those.

Epiphone does reproductions of a number of Gibson basses, but very few of them live up to the OOP classic models.

17. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I bought a Thunderbird Studio 5 string and I love it. I've been playing Gibson basses for years and this one I feel was one of the best purchaces I've ever made.

18. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Well when I got my 2001 Thunderbird directly from the Gibson factory the nut was cut so badly the "A" string was virtually unplayable, the neck was badly bowed, there were 2 screws missing from the pickguard & whatever yahoo checked off the inpection/warranty card left his ball point pen bouncing around in the section of the case that actually holds the bass.

Let's hope things have improved since then.

19. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I recently bought a Tobias Killer B, which is made by Gibson. I've tried quite a few models of their Tobias line, coming out of their Arkansas plant, and all of them have been truly excellent in every way, and IMO easily worth the (admittedly high) price they're charging for these things.

But the Tobias bass is like the Kramer, Epiphone, Steinberg stuff - names Gibson bought. You have to know that the parent company is Gibson; it doesn't say anything about that on the instrument itself.