1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jennings, Mar 10, 2008.

1. rob4001va

rob4001va

Apr 1, 2007
    Northern VA
    Oh yeah...Strawberry Letter 23 was a cool tune...

Yeah, the Mutron is cool, too, though...esp the originals.

Still...mine is exactly like Gene's on the first "Alive" album. Almost makes me want to spit blood...

...not

(with apologies to Kiss fans everywhere!)

2. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    No, they're mine---I used to think I had a lot of instruments till I started hanging out here and on The Gear Page and realized that I'm still in the minor leagues compared to some people.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I had that EXACT SAME BASS almost 20 years ago and it sounded great! It is the only bass out of dozens I have owned that wish I didn't sell (Sold it for $500 at the time which wasn't bad as I paid $350 initially used)

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I bought a Gibson Les Paul Money bass a month or two ago. I bought it after playing one in a shop and being blow away by the slim neck, round dark, but clear sound and the almost perfect balance, even with such a small body.

The only problems I have with my bass are the fret ends aren't exactly perfect, and whatever the neck is finished with just grabs dirt and I have to wipe it down constantly.

It is a great sounding bass though. It has precise clear lows and mids and the high won't cut your head off like my jazz bass. It serves as a perfect compliment to my jazz and I use it for good old fashioned rock.

5. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I bought one last week and I hear it as you do. It is a shame that most players will not give Gibson a second chance because of "their friends 1960-something Gibson that sounded like sludge. I thought the studio T-bird would have sold well. Now Gibson is sliming down the product line again in response to sales. I think that being distinctive may be hurting their sales when it seems to me that the masses are buying more plain vanilla, and desire to be just like the other guy. IMO

6. swamp2

swamp2

Feb 27, 2008
    I think these will be regarded as real jewels someday. For anybody who has purchased one of these at the blow-out pricing - it's much better than MONEY in the bank, IMHO... Eventual appreciation is inevitable.

7. rob4001va

rob4001va

Apr 1, 2007
    Northern VA
    I solve that problem by only buying, and never selling!