1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson Grabber 76, or fake ?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bernardo Wilken, Aug 26, 2017.

1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    pics didn't work

2. Bernardo Wilken

Bernardo Wilken

Aug 26, 2017
    thnx, I edited the post, are they opening now ?

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Still no luck, the links don't work.

4. Some real hinky things going on there. Hard to tell with the quality of the pictures but it seems like it's got a 6 digit serial number, which wouldn't match up with mid 70's instruments- should have an 8 digit number. That being said, my 78 Grabber's last two digits are faded to such a point you have to look very close to see them. In addition, the TRC should have G-3 or "The Grabber" on it. That doesn't mean they didn't get a secondhand TRC. That being said, I also don't see a 'Made in USA' stamp on the back of the headstock either. I'd be wary.

Here's my (1 pickup) Grabber's headstock for comparison. U8zibHI.

5. Bernardo Wilken

Bernardo Wilken

Aug 26, 2017
    thnx for the answer ! I used this site http://www.gui****aterproject.org to check the serial number, it gave some results, and one of them was:

Guitar Info
    This result is a match only if the serial number is impressed on headstockMade In USA on headstock
    Your guitar was made at the
    Kalamazoo Or Nashville Plant, USA
    in 1974 Or 1975
    Production Number: 585746

does this includes bass guitar or only guitars?
    I know that this does not guarantee the authenticity of the bass, but the serial at least would exist ..

6. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Both the guitars (of all kinds) and basses.

7. Bernardo Wilken

Bernardo Wilken

Aug 26, 2017
    another question, the headstock is natural and the pickups are black, have you already see this combination ?

8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    image.

Rebel Rocker likes this.
  9. Bernardo Wilken

Bernardo Wilken

Aug 26, 2017
    the headstock seens to be black painted

10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    Mine was the only dark brown one ive ever seen with a painted headstock, mine had open gear Grover tuners too

11. I reckon fake.

I don't know these basses well, but the logo is way off centre (although could be the front of the headstock was sanded and a new logo applied?). The serial doesn't look neat compared to the following photo and no made in USA.

Could be a 70s Japanese copy, it looks like quite nice quality.

I understand that I could be very wrong on all points!

12. cactus1

cactus1

Oct 6, 2009
    Ft Myers
    That looks like a scarf joint at the headstock. I never knew Gibson to use those.

13. GrantR

GrantR

Apr 20, 2017
    Hi. I have an original 1975 G3. Owned since 1977. Mine is natural as this one, although headstock face is painted black with gold Gibson logo. The machine heads are the same as the one in the pictures. The pickups are not black, but clear with the magnet and windings visible. The serial number on mine is also 6 digits, 559xxx. Mine has the Made in u.s.a also stamped under the serial #. There is a scarf joint, however it is more prominent on your pics as there is more color variation between the neck and headstock compared to mine. The body construction (wing joints) appear correct. Also trc should say G-3.

M.R. Ogle likes this.
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Have you tried contacting Gibson, yet? And, welcome to TalkBass...

15. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Looks like a legit Gibson to me, but possibly a factory 2nd, which is also not that unusual.

I've seen other 70's Gibson basses with;

natural headstocks,
    scarf jointed headstock,
    weird serial numbers.

Welcome to TalkBass!

Drop in on these folks too... lots of Gibson expertise there.

GIBSON Club. Part II

16. I have a real-deal 1978 Grabber with a scarf-joint headstock. These were cheap basses at the time, the production quality represents the price point.

17. cactus1

cactus1

Oct 6, 2009
    Ft Myers
    I obviously, stand corrected on the scarf joint. Live and learn!

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If it was a factory second there's going to be a "2" stamped very prominently under the serial number into the wood on the back of the headstock.

FWIW, Gibson stopped selling factory seconds and started chopping them into scrap starting in 1985. So if a Gibson instrument was built after that, it's not going to be a second.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    ajkula66 likes this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'm thinking if it's anything it's a rescued G-3 body with a new neck. Otherwise I'm guess a better and more careful than average copy using some original Gibson hardware.

Possibly somebody snapped the top off the original and had the neck re-scarfed and fitted with a new head.

I'm also not sure when Gibson switched from using clear to black pickup covers on the G-3, but the 1976 models all had clear covers as @GrantR mentioned earlier.

Too many details not quite right on that one. I'd pass on it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    tattooSAM and Glazenn like this.