1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gibson The Grabber Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blindmouse, Sep 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Just got myself a 1975 Gibson Grabber bass. Came in pretty dirty, but cleaning it made a big difference. I suppose it is a 1975. One of the pots read 1377418. On the other pot a layer of tin makes things unreadable. The bridge cover is missing and I replaced the (Fender) knobs with knobs that come close to the original ones. Now my concern is the pickguard, it is tortoise, all other Grabbers I've seen carry black pickguards. But not all of them. In the Gibson 1975 Bass Catalogue the Grabber is pictured with a tortoise pickguard, even the Ripper carries one. There also is an add in which the Grabber features tortoise. The guard on my bass looks original. The serial number supposed to be on the oval see through transfer on the back of the headstock. It looks like Gibson put a sticker right on the serial number. It can't be removed without destroying it all, so the serial number remains hidden. Opinions please.

PICT0220%20506%20x%20675_zpssc8flzt6.

PICT0209%20506%20x%20675_zpsdzihy5tr.

Attached Files:

Goatrope, SirMjac28, TMcMan and 2 others like this.
  2. Looks real, but I've never seen a factory stock Gibson with a sticker covering the serial #

3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    The sticker isn't stock nor is the screw in the back of the headstock. Pg isn't stock either, regardless cool bass.

Tanner5382 likes this.
  4. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Beautiful Grabber!
    Someone probably stuck that on there. Seems to be an impression from something else.
    IMG_5926.JPG

5. the pickguard maybe the real deal but not sure what the screw would be for the sticker was maybe re-positioned no way Gibson would cover the serial #

upload_2016-9-22_12-40-15.

godofthunder59 likes this.
  6. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    The original Grabber tort guards were one layer and translucent as pictured in the add. The Ops bass is definitely not the same.

Tanner5382, SirMjac28 and Aqualung60 like this.
  7. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
  8. oh yeah you are right not to mention his seems to have a white banding around it. thanks for bring that to light.

9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Wow... I remember when this bass came out...

10. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Me to!

11. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The early Grabber basses had one piece maple necks like the typical Fender all maple neck of the period. I own one and have seen 2 others and all had black pickguards.

godofthunder59 likes this.
  12. I started on a used Grabber back in 1980. The body was a dark burgandy, I miss it.

Tanner5382 likes this.
  13. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    @godofthunder59 is 100% right on...... I would be a bit concerned that the sticker was placed over the serial number may be there to conceal something nefarious in that beautiful bass' past.

jamro217 likes this.
  14. noagreement

noagreement

Oct 12, 2006
    Yo Philly!
    Congrats!! I have a couple G3 Grabbers and the serial numbering system is the same. I got well versed on this when I sold an older 1976 model.

I have never seen that sticker on any of the older models, but it definitely looks like you have the "decal" type serial number per below.

General Numbering System:
    # 1969-1975: 6 digit peghead stamped serial number, MADE IN USA stamped below.
    # 1975-1977: tagged (decal) serial number, MADE IN USA below.
    # 1977-present: 8 digit stamped serial number, MADE IN USA stamped below.

Gibson Serial Numbers, 1975-1977:
    All models, decal, 2 digit prefix followed by 6 digits. The decal can also states the model name/number.

Prefix Year
    ------ ----
    99 1975
    00 1976
    06 1977

15. One piece neck with a tilted headstock?

16. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Straight

IMG_20160103_095808345.

17. Wow I didn't know Gibson went there in the 70s :blackeye:

18. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    The tuners should say gibson. Im not sure about the bridge also. I fear that there might not be any serial number under the sticker.

jamro217 likes this.
  19. Thanks for all the info.
    Let's reveal some more on this bass. First, the tuners on Grabbers came with and without Gibson insciption. Lots of detailed Grabber tuner pics make that clear. I believe this truely is a Gibson The Grabber Bass. There is Gibson on the headstock, on the pick up and on the neckplate. There is a sticker in the oval cavity underneath that Gibson promo one, so why there shouldn't be a serial number? People put stickers on lots of stupid places.
    The pic I send along with this posting shows some more on this bass.
    - the slide is broken on one side, fixed with tape
    - the ground wire once has been desoldered
    - the back side of the guard once carried two ├Żellow cloth sliding 'guides' on the sides of the pickup hole. Original black pickguards show these strips too.
    One strip has been removed to make the system moveable, the black fixing tape generates to much resistance.
    - inside of the pickup cavity a yellowish cloth is glued
    - the alu foil had a 'custom' tape fix.

???????

The strange fenomenon on the left side of the pickguard is just a reflection of sunshine coming through the window.

PICT0223%20675%20x%20506_zps9pf8vtaa.

20. Hopefully you didn't overpay for this bass. It doesn't look to be a perfect specimen, but may well be a decent instrument. One thing's for sure, you'll stand out in a crowd. Yay.