1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson's PR Damage Control

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nomaj, Jul 3, 2019.

1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I suspect that until Jimmy Page personally saws his gold top LP up live on TV Gibson won't have that much of a PR issue. Page is mostly occupied with disputes with Robbie Williams, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Slash could probably saw his in half to a chorus of 'who?' from everyone under 40.

2. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    This may not save Gibson, of course, as similar instruments are available for relative pennies and for those not saying Gibson fraudulently on the headstock there is probably not much that can be done legally. In other words I'm not convinced Gibson will survive as a mass market brand due to compensation unless it rebrands Epiphone, but it might survive as a niche lifestyle brand like Harley Davidson. HD should probably buy the Gibson name and spin Epiphone off.

3. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    You replied to yourself exactly as I would have done. In 2019, Jimmy Page doing much of anything isn’t what should worry Gibson.

The under-forties would be a wise target for Gibson to pursue. Now THAT is the kind of vision that a new management team should be able to get behind. But they’d probably mess that up, too.

-Asdfgh- and Wisebass like this.
  4. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    To get the under 40s market would need some good marketing and endorsements. There's are Mike Dirnt Squier, and although I have no idea who he is, I understand he's from a popular beat combo with some interest from under 40s. Relying on Jimmy Page is a bit like relying on ragtime to sell pianos at the height of Zep. Saying that, trad jazz may have sold a few banjos.

How many Gibson style guitars could be sold to twenty somethings that also have the money to drop $2000 on something? That's why I suspect the money is in Epiphones for $500 and a lifestyle brand at $2000, plus some sales to pros. That's why I think harley Davidson might do well to pick up Gibson for the classic Born To Be Wild ethic (although Stepprnwolf didn't use Gibsons AFAIK).

5. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009

Adam Curry is pretty cool. He has a podcast called 'No Agenda.'

6. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I'd rather hear from Tim Curry or Billy Currie.

GregC likes this.
  7. Stub Mandrel

Stub Mandrel

Nov 13, 2018
    It's never stopped anyone (in the UK) painting Disney(R)(TM)(C) characters all over their ice cream vans or fairground rides!

8. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    I'd rather eat a Rita.

9. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I think Gibson has made a huge mistake.

pcake, Wisebass and Picton like this.
  10. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I'm not anti-Gibson, really, but I'm not pro-Gibson either. Nor am I pro-Dean.

But if the two companies were ever to seek donations to their legal funds, Dean's the one I'd send money to.

blue4 likes this.
  11. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I'm not a fan of either Gibson or Dean myself, but I can't see how you could proceed with a lawsuit and harrassment of other dealers knowing that Fender lost on the Tele and Stat designs which are every bit as iconic as anything else. If my neighbor loses his #ss in a lawsuit I'm sure not going to file one like it. Maybe that's an oversimplification, but from a layman's perspective it looks foolish.

12. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    It's a win-win. Not necessarily for Gibson employees or customers, but for venture capitalists who now control the company.

If they win - or get any $$$ from licensing fees - no explanation needed. Not everyone will be willing - or able - to fight back the way Armadillo is.

If they lose in court, it will become a write-off of some kind, and they'll move on to whatever the next strategy may be..

What is beyond dispute IMO is that the result of these lawsuits will re-shape the guitar industry one way or another.

Wisebass and blue4 like this.