1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson's PR Damage Control

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nomaj, Jul 3, 2019.

1. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    You seem to be knocking knee-jerk Gibson haters, but when someone writes an explanation of the situation that actually make sense and contributes, you have this response. Maybe you should also try to contribute something meaningful to the discussion.

2. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Noted

I just don't find anything appalling about any of it. It doesn't affect my life at all.

After watching the video for the first time a few minutes ago, I can see how it would irritate some people though.

3. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    If there’s a pre-bankruptcy action pending, Dean better get down to the courthouse and ask for a stay. I own a Dean bass which I purchased in a state of confusion because I thought it was a Gibson. How am I supposed to be compensated? Are you saying Dean and Gibson get to go to court to argue over which one of them gets to keep my money, and I’m stuck with a non-iconic non-legendary bass that I can’t lawfully sell unless I disclose it’s a counterfeit Gibson by Dean?

That hardly seems fair. The only just solution here is for Dean to buy back all their counterfeits and deliver them to Gibson for destruction.

Picton, Wisebass, 40Hz and 4 others like this.
  4. You just burned out my sarcasm meter from overload. :smug:

Wisebass and ctmullins like this.
  5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Can I ask, which model Dean bass did you think was a Gibson?

6. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Maybe Thomann could buy the brand and tweak it a bit - Hardly Gibson or something?

7. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Whaddoiknow, I was hoping IBM was still around building Indestructible Bass Machines.

ctmullins and mikewalker like this.
  8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Interesting comment.

Care to elaborate a bit on what this “pattern” you’ve observed is, and where you’re going with that? :)

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Nah. They got sued by Intergalactic Butter Melter (makers of a popular popcorn popper) for supposed trademark infringement.

Butter Melter trademarked ‘IBM’ back around 1945 but never used it. Indestructible Bass Machine started business in 1982. And it’s customers always affectionately referred to it as “IBM.”

Butter Melter never said anything about it until recently when their own business dropped off when people started opting for more modern and healthier snacks. So they figured suing Bass Machines would net them an easy buck (even though they knew their claim was without merit) because some litigation firm told them they had a “strong case.”

Last thing they expected was Bass Machines to dig in and fight to the death.

So it goes.

[Notice: the above is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual companies, their names, their inflated egos, or trade or service marks is unintentional and purely coincidental.] ;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  10. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Musical disinformation is a different thread, you know. :)

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

But if it’s placed within a specified disinformation thread, then it can’t really be considered disinformation now, can it? ;):)

I’m just trying to set the record wrong about International Bass Machines

pcake, Wisebass and jamro217 like this.
  12. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Ohhh, so that's where the "plays like butter" line comes from. :thumbsup:

13. Careful. Linda Richman will sue you!

(I’m getting farklempt...)

14. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I thought it was verklempt and fart clamping was an entirely different hobby.

Ronzo likes this.
  15. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Being known as “The company that sues everyone” is not a good public image to have.

Wisebass, Winslow, nomaj and 2 others like this.
  16. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Especially when you make luxury goods that are sold as a function of consumer goodwill.

Wisebass, GregC and OldDog52 like this.
  17. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Exactly.

Koshchei likes this.
  18. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    It would seem so. However, Disney has been known to be aggressively litigious over the years to protect their trademarks, even sending cease-and-desist letters to schools to stop the use of Disney characters. Seems not to have harmed their public image. Just one example, but I suppose there is a way to aggressively protect your trademarks and still be cozy with your customers.

19. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Good point. Of course, Disney has never started a trademark protection campaign with a company spokesperson in a leather jacket, glowering at the camera, telling other competitors "you've been warned." This 40 years after the point of contention.

Had Gibson led off by going strictly after counterfeiters producing fake Gibson guitars (and not a legitimate builder like Dean), and done so without using an almost comically inept spokesperson to create an air of derision toward them, then they could have prevented this ****storm.

BritFunk, GregC and FRoss6788 like this.
  20. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Disney is not Gibson.

Disney can make its own rules and get away with it. Gibson THINKS it can make its own rules, and seems unlikely to get away with it. When Disney runs into problems, it can pivot and simply co-opt or invent a brand-new market. Gibson has shown none of that kind of flexibility or imagination.

Gibson's main problem is that it's not the top end of any market anymore. It's having trouble accepting that.

GregC, ctmullins and FRoss6788 like this.