1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig Footwear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IamGroot, Mar 14, 2019.

1. What do you wear to your gigs.

For me, its sneakers for bar gigs and SAS black loafers for everything else. The SAS are ridiculously overpriced ($200) but very comfortable and last a very long time. My kids have recommended a $$$ surgery shoe.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Admiral Akbar likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I get custom inserts from my podiatrist.

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Well... most bands I'm in (except one) have a dress code that also applies to shoes.

In one (or two), it's black dress shoes to go with the all-black pit musician look.

In the other, it's Vans of your choice to go with the Rockabilly theme.

For anything else, I wear what's comfortable. No flip flops though.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Anti-tort heathen Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
  5. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Well, I reckon it depends on which band, what the others members are wearing, and where we're playing at.

The top two photos are my only year round daily footwear... Boots in rain or snow, black hi top Chucks every day there's no precipitation. Either of these will work with band#1 as well.

The bottom row is getting into band#2 territory, or just for those crazy nights on the town :rolleyes: I've a couple dozen of these seemingly punishing configurations that I've mastered (not pictured), but they're getting less wear since the old days (nights) in L.A., plus I'm turning 50 next month o_O

InShot_20190314_024801452.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Blundstones, usually. Super comfortable for hours on stage.

Dabndug, dalkowski and Garagiste like this.
  7. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    You SO win this thread.
    Rock on!!

Jason Hollar, Fxpmusic, ak56 and 5 others like this.
  8. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Usually black cowboy boots.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Depending on what i’m doing, Georgia Giant ten inch black lace up loggers or what i call farmers shoes. Look like timberland boots but no stove pipe. They are in fact timberlands just nothing above the ankle. I think the style is refered to as oxford but i’m not sure.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I wear all black Sketchers.
    [​IMG]

11. I have a lead guitar friend. He is a fantastic guitar player. He gets by with flip flops....

12. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Those are fly as hell. I hope no one gets on your bad side and gets a kick to the shins if you're wearing the bottom right pair.

I typically wear black vans or black Chuck Taylors. I'm in a punk/death rock band so it's fitting to wear black.

I've filled in for a friend's cover band before and we usually coordinate a bit for dress, and in that case, I'll usually wear a pair of shoes the color we're coordinating on.

Also, I'd LOVE a pair of these, but I can only seem to find them in children's sizes...

[​IMG]

Bodeanly likes this.
  13. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Cherry Red Doc Martens. Always.

docs.

14. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    You have to wear shoes that strike the appropriate balance between comfort and looks.
    If you want something that is super comfortable and also looks cool, it might be expensive. But it's SO worth it.
    For me, when I was gigging heavily, I always wore Fluevogs when I had to move around a lot, and wore black cowboy boots with orthopedic inserts when I was relatively stationary. The Fluevogs were great because they looked very cool, were super comfy, and are very well made and lasted well through hundreds of hours of ska gigs where I was in continuous motion for 4 hours at a time.
    Mens Shoes, Boots, Sandals & Accessories | Fluevog Shoes

I am of the (perhaps not widely shared) opinion that band members should look and dress like they are in a band, so there are some at least subtle visual cues that they are not part of the audience. So I like to have at least some component of what I am wearing (which could include hair style, cosmetic accents, or whatever you wish) be different from what most people in the general public look like. This has become increasingly difficult over time. For example, some of us are old enough to remember when it was mainly musicians, sailors, bikers, and gang members who got tattoos, so if you had a tattoo, there was a chance you might be one of those. But nowadays, if you are a human being, you might have one or multiple tattoos. So now to make a statement with tattoos, you have to get a ton of them, or they have to be outlandish in some way. So now I am the oddball exception because I have none! (My fear of needles was stronger than my desire to look cool.)

15. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Everything from stilettos, to fetish boots, but most commonly- Converse Chuck Taylors in red, or purple. Recently got some Doc Martin laceup boots that satisfy my rare punk/slumming desires.

46709259_10161102187765383_4357877601834893312_n.

16. bombpop14

bombpop14

Apr 10, 2010
    Irvine, California USA
    Endorsing Artist Ampeg Amps
    For my main band it's white shoes mandatory.....cousin Eddie's.

IMG_0562.JPG

17. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Timberland casual dress shoes. I like Bullitt is wearing and have to look into that brand.

I showed up wearing running shoes this past Sunday, but left to go home and change out to the dress shoes. Although those were more comfortable, I figure if I look good, people will not notice my mediocre bass skills as much. :roflmao:

Speaking of playing on Sundays, I just received a set list for the first Sunday in April that includes Matt Maher's 40 days and a youtube link to it. Finally, an uptempo, 4/4 song I can enjoy playing it.

After spending time learning it yesterday, I received the sheet music. It's been "choir-rized"... slowed down, more plain, and no fun to drive a beat. Oh well, at least it's still in 4/4 and not 6/8 or a more weird time signature.

18. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    They almost match your bass! For some reason I think I need to get a cajon now. That's the first time I'd seen a drummer use one with a cymbal setup...pretty cool.

Quantized Harmonic likes this.
  19. Now I'm GASing for new Fluevogs, and my partner already give me side-eye for having more of those than she does.
    Thanks. Thanks a bunch.

50's still 3 years away for me (and thanks for that reminder, too) but now I need to decide whether to start rocking stilettos before that marker, or after. Decisions, decisions... it's a hard life in the first world, it really is.

corinpills and catcauphonic like this.
  20. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Classic Adidas Shell Tops or Jordan 10s or Navy & Blue Vans - pretty much anything so long as it's certified fresh and super clean.

Nephilymbass and Gumby562 like this.