1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig - too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by oniman7, Jan 8, 2012.

1. So my drummer tells me about this gig he's found that sounds amazing. His girlfriend (the singer's cousin) played in a band that played at this place twice. Here is what he sent to us

":GUYSSS! ok so i went over to danielles today, and she told me back when she was playing in a band the only place they played at(which was twice)a place called cemetery rock. THIS PLACE is amazing!
    -Its bigger than freebird ( Place we play at locally, one of the best )
    -bands have restaurant quality food for them personally for little to no cost depending on the night
    -they have a great system for loading in equipment
    -we DONT have to sell tickets
    -its packed every night
    -We get paid $250 to $500 EACH. Thats $1250-$2500 for one night! :DD
    and the guy who owns the place came to our gainesville show"

She has played their twice, and all of it was true both times. The guy apparently only books bands he "thinks can make it big", no tickets are sold, the place is packed everytime, and there's a ludicrous pay amount. Also, there's no website, the place doesn't exist on Facebook/MySpace/ReverbNation (and they don't have a website), and the guy only talks to the drummer's girlfriend by personal E-mail. I trust her fully, however, and she's been there. He'll be in contact with us shortly.

I just cannot figure this out. How is it that a place with seemingly no presence, no advertising, and no ticket sales pack a venue that I assume holds 500 or 600 people (referencing Freebird, the other venue) and pay bands over $1,000 each.

Oh yeah, we're an original rock band.

Granted, it's about an hour away from us, so it's an entirely different scene. Maybe they have more of a local advertising presence.

I'll keep an open mind. We'd likely do it for low pay just to expand our presence a bit.

But it seems too good to be true, almost too dangerous. How could it work? Have a local "record label" there to prey on the bands? That would make sense.

Or maybe this place does draw 500-600 people and everybody makes great money and I'm just cynical.

2. Well, if they pull in 600 people, $1200 for the band is only $2 from each person. That's about the profit on one drink sold per person. That's not a crazy amount of money for a venue of that size, by any means.

3. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    What part of the country are you in and what club in this economy packs in 500 on week nights?

4. worshiprocker

worshiprocker Tonepump Junkie

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    no harm in playing there once.... if its a bust, then at least you got to play a show and have fun. if you make some gravy then awesome

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... a Google search comes up with nothing for "Cemetary Rock." Freebird, OTOH, comes up right at the top. Even the tiniest of dive bars around here will show a hit of one kind or another. I smell a dead mackerel in the moonlight.

6. This.

as long as it isn't hurting you.

7. I searched too and found nada.....

8. Assuming it exists, I'd say the guy is REAL picky about acts that play there, and it's gradually built a rep as a place that never has dud bands. And the topless boot-scooting show between sets probably doesn't hurt...

But I'm real sceptical about this.

9. Hmmm.... No address, advertising, online presence??

If the place was as popular as you're told, it would at LEAST show up on another band's event page. Any chance of a contract and deposit?

10. We're not! That's the weird part. We live near Jacksonville, Florida. This venue is either in Yulee, which is about 15 minutes south of Georgia, or is physically in South Georgia.

Given the location, it's possible it's the only venue for miles... that could help a little bit. Also, I think it will be on weekends.

11. I live in Orange Park, Fl. (a suburb of Jacksonville) and have been playing gigs around N.E Florida and S.E Georgia for 15 years. Never heard anything about the place.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Is this a new venue? If so, play the gig, have fun, network, and make some coin...but don't expect the place to be there in six months. New venues often pop up. They get huge patronage at the onset because they're the new place. Then, the owners bite off more than they can chew - often paying a ton of money for entertainment - and are bankrupt a few months down the road.

If the venue's been around for years, then hell yeah! (and yes, there are venues that good...they just don't exist out in the sticks)

13. If it' a well-visited place, the social web sites/engines should have comments about it. If nothing shows up via internet searches, then it's too good to be true. There's a 1% chance this is a real thing, though.

14. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If I remember correctly, the OP is still in high school.

I was in a pretty good band in high school. If I got paid a nickel for every piece of BS that I was fed by people who could get us gigs, recording contracts, hook us up with celebrities, etc, I'd have retired from the music business at 18 and I'd still be living off my nickels.

The lesson I learned? VERIFY EVERYTHING!

What did I wish I did? Befriend an older and more experienced musician in my area that was willing to impart their wisdom much sooner.

15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. If it's only an hour away, drive out this weekend to confirm everything you've been told.

The question I always ask myself is, "Why am I the recipient of this fantastic piece of luck."

Let us know how it works out. I WANT to believe in miracles.

16. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, all bands have to pay a $200.00 upfront Johnson fee prior to the show, but we refund it back to you when we pay you.

17. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    Searches in every conceivable format come up with nada, zip, zilch. Although it does appear that the southland is very haunted, and cemeteries are popular. The closest approximation even approaching an underground word-of-mouth club would be Swayze's in Marrietta, GA, and even THEY have sort of a website.

So I'm crying foul. It'd be interesting to see how it pans out, though.

18. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Swinger's club.

I'd bet you a beer it's a swingers club.

With a nasty over-used-primordial soup hot tub too.

19. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    And that right there should be the red flag.

If you're not finding the name out there either for music or adult entertainment then it's something that's being done under the table and likely outside the range of the law.

I was going to say if you're in high school this could be a bad thing...but hell...you're playing in a place with booze, topless women and you're under 18 so if anything happens you'll be treated as a juvenile.

Go for it!!!!

20. Verify EVERYTHING and get it all in writing. Also, remember that when somebody you don't know says "you can trust me" you most likely can't.