1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gigging Jerry Jones/Danelectro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by savit260, Mar 31, 2006.

1. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'm thinking tonight of dragging out my Jerry Jones Neptune Longhorn 4 for tonights show. Anyone else gigging with their JJ's/Danelectros? How about a couple of pics of 'em in action. I'll see if I can post some from tonights show tomorrow.

Mike

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    No pics, but I gig my Dano Longhorn regularly... Great bass for the roots/rock thang!

-robert

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. Just got back from the show, and I got a bunch of positive comments on it's sound. I think I'll be back with the "P" for tomorrow nights show, but it sure was fun to play the Jerry Jones. I'll post the pics just as soon as they're emailed to me. Someone else out here must have pics of them playing a JJ or Danno.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I thought I saw an add in Bass Player, or Bass Guitar magazing advertising the Danelectro being reintroduced. Can you guys bring me up to speed on the instrument a bit?

I know what they look like, but I've only seen one in person once. I've always been pretty interested in them and I think yall are the first people I've seen who have them...

5. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Am I the only one in the world that thinks a JJ Longhorn sounds like a Ric?
    No action pics, but I play mine at least once during every gig.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Played a Jerry Jones for about 3 years live.
    Great for blues, and roots music.
    Just slap on a set of GHS flats.
    Fat bottom.

fretlessguy likes this.
  7. I think Jerry Jones stuff is extremely gig-worthy. Top quality all the way.

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    While I've no doubt that the Jerry Jones basses are killer, I've not yet felt the need to 'upgrade' from the re-issue Longhorn...

[​IMG]

The original, cheap, unapologetic vibe is exactly what I was looking for when I purchased this. The fact that it plays and sounds amazing, despite, (or maybe because of), the cheap 'feeling' construction just floors me. It's actually very well built and quite true to the original intent of the re-issue philosophy. The neck is very comfortable to me... The light weight makes it a must-have for those five-set nights...

Not a 'One-Trick-Pony', but it's also not an 'Everything' axe. While it works great in my roots/rock gig, I'm actually hesitant to break it out in the Country band as it is mostly 'new' country and I can't quite 'see' it... Ya never know though...

-robert

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    O.K. here are a few pics as promised. Check out the Flying V with a Bigsby vibrato too. There's something you don't see every day. These pics are from a fun little place we like to play at in Quincey Ma. And for you street punk/oi fans(if there are any here) Yes that's Jeff Morris from The Bruisers on guitar.

bb50bc40.
    b31256d1.
    26998ef5.

Come on.... Someone else must have some pics of JJ's or Dano's out being played. I guess someone could photoshop their head onto a pic from an NRBQ show hahahaha!!

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Oh, I bet that set up sounds nice :bassist:

11. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Have a question, I'm hoping one of you guys can answer.

I have a Rogue Beatle bass. I slapped flats on it, and it makes the appropriate thump. Actually can make a near-stand-up sound, but for the fact that it's fretted. Now, as cheap as these things are, I've considered getting another one, yanking the frets out, and thus making a damn-near-standup noise with it.

I need a pretty-darn-close-to-a-stand up noise in my recording arsenal.

My Ashbory turned out to be quite cute, but doesn't really deliver...

Fact is, I am NOT likely to get a real damn doghouse. Just too fricken big, and I would just suck at playing it, I'm certain.

Now, I've also heard "Leave the stand up at home" when talking about these Danelectro and Jerry Jones Longhorns.

The question is: Defretted Beatle Bass, or defretted Longhorn (and no, I wouldn't do that to an original one...nobody gasp, please!)?

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I would imagine a defretted Danno Longhorn with the popsicle stick bridge, and flatwounds would get you as close as you're likely to get. I palm mute the strings on the JJ's I have sometimes (roundwounds)and it's an "O.K" . approximation. I think with the wood bridge saddle, no frets and flats you'd be nearly as close as you can get.

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    For post #1600, here's a live shot of the Longhorn from last Friday at the CI in lovely downtown Tualatin! Don't ask me what's up with my face... This was a particularly good gig, so I was probably just 'feelin it!' :D

[​IMG]

-robert

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have had some custom long horn gas lately, here it goes

Hollow Long Horn body 2 F Holes body binding flame maple top what finish you ask GREENBURST ! yeah that would be cool !

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    normal_AAIMG_0073AL.

normal_AAIMG_0067A.

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I started gigging my 1st JJLonghorn bassVI in 1990, and have since bought a 2nd VI and a 4-string. They've all had lots of use over the years. Back in the early 90s when the Longhorn VI was all I played, the soundmen used to ask "Where's the bass player?" when we were setting up. I didn't have a P-bass so they were confused. ;)
    longhorns.

17. I read in my history of bass book (I could be wrong about this) about some famous player, i don't remember who at the moment) that really wanted to play one of these on a recording because he loved the strings it came with, unfourtunatly, he kept breaking strings and couldn't find any replacements, so he just kept buying new basses. he ended up going through like 4 of 'em before just recording on a different bass

18. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    That was Entwistle.
    And it's true/

19. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I've posted many stories about my love for my Dano.
    I've played evenings where I just couldn't get a decent tone for the life of me.In those cases the Dano saved the day.
    It's just so punchy and hot in the upper midrange area.
    This thing really cuts through the band.
    If you need to hear one ,check out the Danelectro site.
    The sound clips are right on the money.
    http://www.danelectro.com/guitars1.htm View attachment 43846