1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gigless

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Skokiaan, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    For the first time since I played my first gig 20 years ago I have no gigs on my calendar. Nada. Zilch. I'm still in an active band and have two others in rehearsal, but nothing is scheduled.

The timing is good as I'm about to start an intense six month glass that could eat up much of my available time.

Still, it's weird. I don't like it.

Ubersheist likes this.
  2. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Assuming you meant "class." I would hate to see anyone go on a six month bender just because the gigs are lean.

Tulsa Teddy, Hahaha and JRA like this.
  3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Every year from December thru February we don't play gigs.
    Winters are brutal up here.
    I know what you mean though, it's like the first days of vacation, takes a bit to settle into it.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I was in your place last year and remember the feeling. Enjoy the break. It will pass :).

Jimmy4string likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

even with two bands: i had no 'future' gigs booked just a few weeks ago, and i agree: it's a weird 'feelin'. but as Joe Nerve pointed out: it will pass! hang in. you could spend the time getting caught up on your drinking. :thumbsup:

6. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I posted almost the exact same thing a few weeks back. It's a very weird feeling, and uncomfortable. I was questioning my abilities.

I now have a bunch of dates booked through August with five different acts, and was contacted today by a sixth. Enjoy the break, focus on the class and see what life is like for people who go to bed at a decent hour every night.

7. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    When I don't gig I get this so this is what it's like to be a normal guy and you won't like me when I'm normal cause I don't like me when I'm normal.
    Duke

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Tough time of the year, especially up north. Work up some new tunes in all that spare time of yours.

9. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I don't like gigging in the winter lugging gear around... but all I do now is get the band together once a week auditioning new singers ... this has been going on for a month now. I guess it's better than doing nothing. ;)

10. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    I love it.

11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    On the plus side, think about how much fun that next gig is gonna be after the hiatus! :hyper:

12. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    We just lost the our ongoing 1-2 times a month gig and are now gigless after NYE. Since we don't practice I have got to create a home practice routine to stay in shape till something else comes along. Just bought a new amp too!

13. Time for us to get in the shed! We got one gig in February but we need to take time to hone in on a good style and tightness for the spring time rock and roll salvation shows!!

dbase likes this.
  14. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    Ah...a bender. That should kill some time...

15. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Braincells and who knows what else. Stay safe out there. :thumbsup:

16. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    Same. We just recorded our album and we're waiting on that to get finished to start rehearsing. It's a nice little break, but I'm a bit chomper. I'm trying to reign that in and enjoy the time off for now.

17. I had to back out of a February gig since I'll be out of town, and now I have no gigs. This is the first time in decades that I've not had a NYE gig, either. The girlfriend is happy, but I have no idea what to do now.

18. I just acquired a new bass s couple of months ago and no gig on the horizon to play it in :(

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have only three gigs on the books for 2017. After last years events costing me time and gigs mostly due to others and their issues, I am determined to gig as much as possible.
    I just joined another band and they have prospects for some good gigs so we shall see. The fragments of my last band has some gig lined up as well. Until I know they are booked I'm not holding my breath but am excited about the possibilities.

20. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

The ebb and flow of gigs is an inscrutable thing. I didn't have much toward the end of 2016, but 2017 is starting out with three by mid-February. Being a day job type, I don't want so many it turns into a grind. Too few is disappointing, too. Beats me what the balance is, though. It's different for all of us, and I don't even know what the balance is for me. About one per month, perhaps.

BluesOnBass, twinjet and Quilbert like this.