1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 1001RB II Fan

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluesrx, Apr 25, 2010.

1. bluesrx

bluesrx Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Lakeland, Fl.
    Just picked up a GK 1001RB II. Great deal... good seller. Local CL deal. Amp sounds nice.. no apparent issues. Took the top off just to see if it had anything done to it. Looks clean. Wanted to see if the fan circuit works so I left the top off and turned it on. ALL volume down..no signal. Fan came on in about 15 minutes. I've let it run for about 2hrs..again volume down, no signal. The fan has yet to turn off. My question is: after the heat sink or wherever the heat sensor is cools down shouldn't the fan shut off?

I understand there's a lot of output devices on that heatsink...so maybe that's it.... ???

The amp sounds great but I'm wondering if the fan circuit is working properly.

Ideas?

2. It should not have run. Either the fan circuit is faulty/modified or the bias is wrong, I'm suspecting the bias was played with. A case of what's this control do?

3. bluesrx

Mar 31, 2006
    Lakeland, Fl.
    ... Paging Mr. Gallien

4. bluesrx

Mar 31, 2006
    Lakeland, Fl.
    Anyone know how to check the bias on the 1001RB II? I know how to do it on my '87 400RB... but I think this ones a bit different.

5. I can send you the schematic unless you want to wait for RAG to come by.

6. bluesrx

Mar 31, 2006
    Lakeland, Fl.
    Yeh...send it please. wpowell7@tampabay.rr.com I appreciate it. The seller and I had a verbal agreement that I could return it if there was a problem.

7. Done.

8. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Have you tried contacting G-K customer service?

9. bluesrx

Mar 31, 2006
    Lakeland, Fl.
    I just emailed tech support at GK and got a reply within 25 minutes..awesome!!!

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, IME, they're really good about backing up their products.

11. So, tell us, what did they have to say??

12. bluesrx

Mar 31, 2006
    Lakeland, Fl.
    Well... Daniel said that the 1001RB dissipates more power so the fan circuit would be more active. He also said that there could be a problem but without having in front of him he couldn't say. I told him that I'm familiar with checking the procedure to check the bias but had a question about the 2 pins on J5 where you measure the mV across. Waiting for his reply.