1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 800 RB cab matching question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lucifersam76, Jan 18, 2012.

1. lucifersam76

lucifersam76

Jan 18, 2012
    los angeles
    ok so i have a gk 800 rb coming in the mail tomorrow. I have an ampeg 1510 cab 175 watts 8ohm and I also have a carvin NE15 600 watt 4 ohm speaker that was given to me. one question I have is, should I put the carvin speaker in the ampeg cab and biamp the highs to the 10 (to much juice for the 10?) and lows to carvin ne15 (I would have to rig a speakon jack in the cab) and eventually build a new cab for the leftover ampeg 15 speaker? OR should I leave the ampeg cab as is (run full range for now), build a cab for the carvin ne15? and run full range or biamp? I am fairly new to owning bass gear, ive been playing forever but have always used other peoples stuff as I am a guitar player first, also I am on a budget and this ampeg cab was purchased with another head in mind but that deal fell through so I am trying to make do with what I have and am wondering if anyone can help me with this. and will I have phase issues with any of this? thanks!!!!
    ~Sammy

2. punkrocko

punkrocko

Jun 18, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I would run the 800RB full range into the Ampeg as is. See how you like it first, before you over think it.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

Note, the low amp in the 800rb is a 4ohm minimum amp just like many other bass amps. The high amp is an 8ohm minimum . Remember that. Some guys blow the high amps because of that.

4. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    +1 on the above advice. The high amp has 2 outputs. Do yourself a favor, take some duct tape and cover up one output hole on the high amp. Cheap insurance that you don't plug both 8 ohm cabs into it on a dark stage.

5. bassballs_dk

bassballs_dk

Aug 1, 2009
    Denmark
    My 800RB only has one output on the high amp (8ohm) and the low amp two outputs (2x8 ohm)

6. You have the most current release of the 800RB.

To the OP, you could run the Carvin (4 ohm) by itself ONLY in the low amp of the 800RB. The Ampeg could be used on either the low amp (with a second 8 ohm cab, NOT the Carvin) or from the high amp.
    That is a killer amp still have mine.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +100

I used to have one years ago I wish I would've never let go. Just last week I found a 1983 in absolutely beautiful shape, not even missing any knob centers! This one stays.

565D9789-orig.

OP, just follow the advise here and don't go switching speakers around. The speaker and box are designed to work together and randomly changing them around will not result in any better sound than you already have....likely worse.

8. pbassnut

pbassnut

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I'd go with a full range setup. The GK 800RB tone has very good clarity as it is and sounds excellent (to my ears, anyway) with tweeter-less 15s. I use mine with a 4 ohm Schroeder 1515L out of the 300 watt output and (optionally) an 8 ohm Bag End S15-D out of the 100 watt output and it sounds great ... particularly with a flatwound strung P-Bass which is my go-to "bread & buttah" bass.

9. lucifersam76

lucifersam76

Jan 18, 2012
    los angeles
    so an 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm cab wired in parallel makes how many ohms? that will work? that would be best then I can just use the ampeg till I get the carvin cab built.

10. lucifersam76

lucifersam76

Jan 18, 2012
    los angeles
    Thanks for the help everyone! I think im just going to use the ampeg as is full range until I build the cab for the carvin speaker. since the ampeg is 8 ohms the gk will only run at 200 watts thus not over powering the amp to much, just hope 200 wats SS is loud enough. then I can mess with biamping and see how I like it. sounds to me from researching that full range is the way to go but will def have to try for myself...now to build a cab....still waiting for the green machine to deliver my 800rb! will send pics when I get it. I think it was an 80's one. will post pics

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    2.67--too low for the amp.

Run either cab by itself from the low amp out set to "full range". Do not run both at the same time.

200 watts into your ampeg will be louder than you think. These are incredibly good amps and sound a good deal louder than the power rating would lead you to believe.

12. ^ :D

By the way, a speaker CAN NOT over power an amp. Only a amp CAN over power a speaker. :)

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Good call...I hadn't noticed that.

14. lucifersam76

lucifersam76

Jan 18, 2012
    los angeles
    I was just thinking the ampeg cab is rated to handle 175 watts (8ohms) the gk800rb is 300 watts @4 ohms and 200 @8ohms so the amp is overpowering it even if I run it at 8 ohms but I guess 25 watts isnt much...
    in 20 years of playing guitar/ bass ive never owned a stack, only combo's, and ive never really owned a bass amp so ive got a little to learn... ive got alot of gear I can borrow when im in town but were getting ready to tour and its nice to have yr own stuff ya know...im also running a univox 1221 head for guitar through the ampeg cab which sounds great. the ampeg cab has a horn as well with a high frequency attenuator switch so that helps.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Wattage ratings don't mean much. One that low may even have a better chance of meaning something in the real world. Just listen to your speaker. If it starts sounding stressed or distorted, back off a little, that's all. Find the limit using a clean tone. Using distortion/overdrive can mask the sound of the speaker distortion making it hard to tell if it's in danger or not. Once you're used to the rigs limits, what it can and can't do, then use your overdrive if you like.