1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK backline rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by imChinOaChicken, Jul 23, 2007.

1. i know a lot of you dont like GK but here goes...

ive got a SR5 and starting to look for a decent rig. right now i joined the school jazz choir and looking to join a band in the near future. i have a tight budget... $700 at most for now. Gk's seem to have some good prices and decent specs.

i was thinking of of getting..

GK backline 600 bass head $299
    GK 115BLX-II Bass Cabinet $249
    GK 210BLX-II Bass Cabinet $199

i figured that i could get the head and 15" cab right now and use it for the jazz choir and when i join a band in the future, i could add the 2x10. carrying each individual piece would also help since im pretty small and have limited space.

would anyone recomend doing this?
    how would the watt/ohm ratings fare?
    could it compare to say, some 400w 4x10?

im also looking at an...
    swr workingpro combo
    ampeg ba115hpt combo
    peavey tnt 115 combo
    ... but the GK route seems the most affordable and physically flexible.

2. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    When on a budget, remember, your money will go furthest purchasing used gear...

It's sometimes hard to find used gear (check e-bay or Craigslist for good deals).

I haven't spent much time with the GK backline stuff other than messing with it at Guitar Center... I'm considering a GK backline 600 head as a backup to my 1001RB (but might end up with an 800RB instead), but I'm not too impressed with the backline cabs.

I'd recommend the following:

Used GK 800RB ~ $300-$350
    New Avatar B212 ~ $342-$401 (shipped, depending on your covering choice).

Should be loud enough for any gig a high schooler would likely be playing. You can always add an Avatar 210 at a later date...

Look for a used cab though, I've notice there's a used Ampeg 610 on Craigslist in the Detroit area right now for $300 (a STEAL!). If I didn't already have one, I'd jump on it, got mine a few months too early I guess.

3. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
  4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :eyebrow:

I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that... GK and Ampeg are the two most popular brands here, without question!

But yeah, the Backline series cabinets aren't exactly GK's best. Definitely look into Avatar or GK's higher-end cabinets. For light weight and portability while still keeping tons of volume and low end, GK Neo cabinets would be a good option to look into - they're my cabinets of choice.

The Backline 600 head, however, is a great head for the price.

I'd also search this forum to see what other GK users are employing as cabinets for their heads.

5. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Hi

I run a Backline 600 with an Avatar SB112 neo and it sounds great. I would have gone with the 212 but space and weight were issues. If you go the used GK head route my understanding is that the newer II series are a bit better then the older heads. If you do go with an Avatar cab (highly recommended) spend the extra bucks for the line-x covering, it's awesome.

6. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    GK is a good company.
    Backlines are cheap products.
    Goldlines are essentially the same except with aluminum cones.
    edit: Apparently the GL's are a slight upgrade from the BL's with more clarity, depth, etc. However, they're still low-rated cabs (wattage) and won't sound too great when they're pushed. I don't know about the 10's but I tried a GLX 115 and it farted out when I pushed it a little. Good tone at lower volumes, however. Likewise with the BLX, and what's why I associate the two series.

You don't need a full stack for jazz band. My school uses a 12 or 15 Hartke kickback and it's fine in the mix.

Your best bet is used; you can get a great rig for 700. I'd say get a 210 for jazz band and you can add a 115 underneath it for when you have a band. Make sure they're both cabs are 8 ohms and get a capable head. Good luck!

7. someone really has to sticky fdecks review on the GK BL 600 lol

8. yea, im kinda torn on what to get now..
    despite how awesome the avatar looks, i will have to stick with buying locally. i dont really have acess to a credit card and i kinda have to buy the amp and get it home without my parents noticing :p haha

hmm...
    i checked out the swr workingpro 12" combo at a store and it looks surprisingly good. sufficient for the jazz choir at least with 200w. the price is pretty cool too at $399 new.

this may sound weird but how hard would it be to use two combos simultaneously?

9. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Pros do it all the time with big rigs for all sorts of reasons (see "bi-amping" in the Amps forum). It's not difficult at all - you just need a decent signal splitter (sometimes called a "Y" box).

The best kinds, IMO, are buffered ("active" or "powered"). The passive, non-powered kind usually produces two signals that are quieter than your original, but buffered ones will boost your split signal.

10. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    It wouldn't be hard. A combo would be good for school but a GK BL600 and a 210 isn't much larger.

And your parents will find out eventually. :p

11. once its home they wont care if i have it or not :D
    their weird like that haha

im considering getting a good combo right now to suit my small needs and if i need more power later on, i can add another combo and split signals between the two.

what "buffered" ones do you recomend?

12. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Agreed with a couple of points around here:

1) Your money does go for more (usually) with used gear.
    2) Backline cabs are cheap, BUT...

For one of my bands I'm running the Backline 115 and 210 cabs, along with a custom 15" cab to get below 50Hz. Head is a GK 800RB. Tone isn't that bad, and yeah, I do have access to and play on the good stuff. It isn't an Ampeg 810 or even higher-end GK, but it isn't the end of the world either.

What it is:

1) Affordable
    2) Relatively light and easy to move
    3) Not bad sounding at all (not great, but certainly not terrible)

I've yet to make my backline cabs distort...I heard a rumor that they changed the drivers for the better recently, though.

I'm actually in agreement that if you can get some good used gear in your range, jump on it...but the Backline stuff isn't the end of the world. :rolleyes:

-Mark

13. Evo 911

Evo 911

May 18, 2007
    Lahore
    If ur not totally set on GK Backline, u might find these links quite useful.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ASD-MAG115T-BSTK.html
    +
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ASD-MAG210T-BSTK.html
    +
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ASD-MAG-300H-FRS.html

Thts 180 + 190 + 250 = 620 delivered!

I havent heard anybody complain with these behind them, (excluding those with a faulty piece that can be replaced free of charge)

Or see this one:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ASD-MAGC410T-BSTK.html

430 + 30 shipping = $460

This one is much more portable than the obove, but a bit limiting too. U dont get that many lows. I've been doing research on this price range for 6 months. Samples, complains, hit points, everything. Have found Ashdown MAG to be the best so far. Rest is all subjective.

14. HMZ

HMZ

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I just ordered a GK 210BLX-II with out trying it. I bought to use at rehearsals and leave at the drummers house My question is will this cab work well it a Markbass LMII? we play mostly 70's rock. I just wanted a cheap cab to leave there so I would not have to lug one of my Aggie cabs back and forth.

15. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I just bought a Backline 600 head as a backup. And I'm fairly impressed. PLayed around with some of the goldline cabs and a used backline and I'm unimpressed.

I'd say go for the head. And call Dave at Avatar.

Andy

16. I'm a GK lover. I just sold my GK cabs but my 1001 is the best head i've ever played through. I thought about picking up a Backline 600 but have decided to get a LMII. You can't go wrong with it.

Now the backline cabs suck IMHO.

17. doog

doog

Jun 26, 2007

id like to read it, i did a search and didnt find anything.

18. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
  19. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    GK lover here. I've done a ton of gigs with an old 400RB and an Avatar 212 neo, great combination!