1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Goldline 500 for $100.00 worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by planetdrumz, Dec 29, 2017.

1. planetdrumz

planetdrumz

Jan 4, 2016
    Boston
    I can buy a GK Goldline 500 for $100.00 that it is very good condition. Sounds like a good deal to me, what do you guys think? Is this a good buy?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. planetdrumz

planetdrumz

Jan 4, 2016
    Boston
    My apologies, I didn't realize that I cant post this thread. I just wanted to know if the experienced guys on here think I should buy it since I'm not that experienced with this stuff. Dont want to waste my money. Again....Sorry.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Check on Reverb, Craigslist, GC etc. to see what they are going for. As with any other used piece of equipment, check it out to make sure it is in good shape.

4. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    The GK Goldline series, is essentially the preamp of a Backline series head, with more power, different layout and features. People are quick to dismiss the GK backline series as a "beginners" amp, or budget amp that doesn't compete with GK's RB series, or other brands' respective professional lines. This is a sad misconception based on price and ignorance in my experience.

It's not an amp i'd buy just because I had $100 to spend. However, if you do need a powerful amp and enjoy the GK tone, then it's a no brainer.

jchrisk1 likes this.
  5. planetdrumz

planetdrumz

Jan 4, 2016
    Boston
    The only amp I have now is a Crate BT100 Combo but I want to go with a amp/cab set up and looking for a nicer tone so I figured this is a cheap way to get that without going broke, especially right after Christmas. I can also get a Carvin RL 410T Cab to go with it for $125.00.

thumpbass1 likes this.
  6. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Stuff that RL cab. For lack of a better phrase, the cab is where you make your money. A great cab can make a bad head sound good. A bad cab can make a great head sound bad. Those RL cabs were good a couple decades ago when they were introduced, which doesn't translate well in today's world of cabs. The Goldline head may be what you're after, but if you're just trying to part and piece a budget rig together, you have a much higher probability of getting something you aren't satisfied with, rather than something you are. If 500 watts for 100 bucks is the only thing that's catching your eye with that deal, it's better to pass. Amps and cabs are truly a try before you buy kind of thing, and at the very least a good set of headphones and a few hours scouring youtube for product reviews is a good alternative if you can't. Build your rig around your tonal goals, and you'll have a rig to last a long time. Build a rig around a budget, and you may just keep chasing your tail for years because it's never what you really wanted or needed. Ask me how I know.

Jesuguru and planetdrumz like this.
  7. planetdrumz

planetdrumz

Jan 4, 2016
    Boston
    Thank you so much for the advice. I will pass on the RL. Ill try out the GK later and see what I think. Definitely don't want to waste my money. This is wise advice for sure and makes a lot of sense, I have a problem that when I get a thought about something I want in my head, I get impatient and just want to go out and buy it (Bad "GAS" I guess..lol) :thumbsup:. Thanks again!

8. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    This is a third hand account, but a fellow tber with good reputation posted here a couple years ago in response to my inquiry about "sleepers" that show up used for cheap. He pointed out that Mr. Gallien himself said that the GL500 is a fantastic amp. Although it is very close to the BL series in design, the components themselves are higher tolerance and quality. I wouldn't put this or any used gear in its original price range and now its age in a "yes buy it NOW" category, but don't dismiss it outright. It may well be a sleeper, passed over by many simply due to being a Guitar Center exclusive line.

For that price it is surely worth a look.

planetdrumz and BasturdBlaster like this.
  9. Buy it

10. TBGFRED

TBGFRED Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Robert Gallien mentioned the Goldline in a thread here on TB about 10 years ago:

"The Goldline amplifier is actually an excellent amp at an incredible price. It used the power amp from the 700RB with out the horn amp, and included a great preamp. It was inexpensive because we made it in China and sold it only to GC in high quantities. It was part of the Goldline series and by far the best product in the series. The whole Goldline concept was dropped when GC started bringing in their product line from China called Acoustic. The Goldline 500 is a ridiculously outstanding value that is rarely seen in this world.
    RAG"​

I have one and its very good. It is very powerful, delivering 'honest' watts that many GK amps are known for. It can get a little hissy with the master cranked, as some people recommend doing with GKs, but at that level, the gain and boost have to turned down pretty far to avoid deafening volume. You can use the A channel, which is just gain plus master, or the B channel, which inludes the gain, boost and seperate master. Using the B channel, you can get a pretty meaty growl.

Note that the amp does not have twist lock speaker connections, just 1/4" phone speaker outs. Does have effects loop. Four bands of preamp control offers a lot of control.

I saw the "sleeper" amp discussions here on TB and picked a 'minty' one up for about 150. Since then I see typical asks ranging from 250 to 300 for 'excellent condition.'

Its not a downmarket/entry amp. Youll be looking hard for an inexpensive cab that can do it justice.

The Funkapotamus likes this.