GK head 400rb with 210 cabinet @200w/8ohm

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by b-flat, Dec 4, 2003.

1. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Has anyone experimented this set? is it good good GOOD for double bass or does it sound to much electric?

mad

2. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    oh....the cabinet ist GK 210SBX ;)

3. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    BTW....

SInce i live in europe i'd better buy something that is made here...

do you have some ideas on that? Hartke maybe?~

cheers

4. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Sometimes I use an old-style ('87) 400RB head with an SWR Goliath Jr. III 2x10 cabinet. It's a pretty good setup for DB but by no means the best ever. I am using a New Standard Cleveland laminated bass with Realist and K&K Bass Max pickups. The GK head has a very quick response and is not too boomy or electric-sounding.

However I find myself wanting more versatile EQ for dialing out honky frequencies and adding definition. I also think that I'd prefer one or two 1x10 or 1x12 cabinets to the 2x10 for the sake of portabilty.

I recently had the opportunity to hear an Italian-made SR brand 150 watt 1x10 + horn combo. I know that the SR company is associated with Schertler; the SR I saw looked very similar to the Schertler powered speakers. It sounded great and had a really deep response for such a small unit. One or two of those with the right preamp could work very well.

It's probably a good idea to buy European. I buy mostly American stuff for cost and ease of repair. You should have plenty to choose from with manufacturers like Hevos (Dutch), Tech, Ashdown, MarkBass, EBS, and Glockenlang over there.