Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK head 400rb with 210 cabinet @200w/8ohm

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by b-flat, Dec 4, 2003.

1. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Has anyone experimented this set? is it good good GOOD for double bass or does it sound to much electric?

mad

2. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    oh....the cabinet ist GK 210SBX ;)

3. b-flat

b-flat

Dec 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    BTW....

SInce i live in europe i'd better buy something that is made here...

do you have some ideas on that? Hartke maybe?~

cheers

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Sometimes I use an old-style ('87) 400RB head with an SWR Goliath Jr. III 2x10 cabinet. It's a pretty good setup for DB but by no means the best ever. I am using a New Standard Cleveland laminated bass with Realist and K&K Bass Max pickups. The GK head has a very quick response and is not too boomy or electric-sounding.

However I find myself wanting more versatile EQ for dialing out honky frequencies and adding definition. I also think that I'd prefer one or two 1x10 or 1x12 cabinets to the 2x10 for the sake of portabilty.

I recently had the opportunity to hear an Italian-made SR brand 150 watt 1x10 + horn combo. I know that the SR company is associated with Schertler; the SR I saw looked very similar to the Schertler powered speakers. It sounded great and had a really deep response for such a small unit. One or two of those with the right preamp could work very well.

It's probably a good idea to buy European. I buy mostly American stuff for cost and ease of repair. You should have plenty to choose from with manufacturers like Hevos (Dutch), Tech, Ashdown, MarkBass, EBS, and Glockenlang over there.