1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB112 ii

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by gottliver, Aug 23, 2012.

1. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    So i took a flyer and ordered a GK MB112ii from GC for $347 after the $50 discount promo they have now.

I'm having a realist being installed on friday.

I figure i can't go wrong for $347 bones, worst case I'll use it with my BG!!

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Since you are an early adopter, let us know how this amp works out. I like the new design, and the add on power cabinets. As I understand it, the series II amps are being built stateside at th GK plant in California.

Ric

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Haven't touched a series 2 yet, but the initial series of this amp was great. I own a 12 and a 15 in the original series.

4. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    thx for the replies. I played a mb200 head at the local gc today after ordering my combo online. it was connected to a mbe115. I played a few pbass' thru it. Sounded good, very musical eq, little adjustments went a long way. the contour switch to my ears/style is useless. very hollow.

look forward to the realist tomorrow and amp next week.

my first "gig' on db will be a few songs at my wedding, THAT im really looking forward too!!

5. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    i've read that they are being "assembled" stateside..not sure what that means. leads me to believe that the components are imported and bolted together in the US...

either way, looking forward to trying it out..

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have heard others say the same thing.

I will confess to really liking the contour switch. :bag: :)

7. I'll be interested to hear how it does on DB as well. I've got the 12" combo version of the series one and while I love it for EB, it falls a bit short with DB. It's somewhat boxy sounding with DB and no amount of EQ can completely help so I'm guessing it's a matter of physics with the cabinet.

8. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    Nate, I use the series one 115 and I think that it holds up really well with DB.

9. Thanks Ryan. That's interesting input.

The more I play around with this amp and my DB, the more I really think it's an issue of physics with the cabinet on the 112. I've narrowed down the frequency that seems to contribute to the "boxy" sound the most but can't cut/boost my way out of it with my DB. It's still a great "Grab'n'go" amp though so it'll stick around for a while.

Still want to hear the gen II for sure.

10. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
  11. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    I rcvd it wed nite. Plugged in right away. First thing i regret is that it doesnt have a master volume. With the volume up to 9-10 ocklock and the lows rolled down the speaker farts at low e thru g. Not usable as is. Waiting on a hpf pre3. Will report back once i get.

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Hmm that doesn't sound right. I can crank my 112 v1 without rolling off bass and still no fart.

I agree the lack of a master on the 112s is very disappointing. I don't get that. They give you a master on the 115 but not the 112.

13. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    Interesting. What pickup? Pre amp?

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    No preamp. Either p and j of ibby or piezo of ubass. No pre.

15. Hmmmm.... If it's farting out with passive slabs I wonder if there's something wrong with it? I can push mine pretty hard with no such issues.

16. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    Mine doesn't fart when I play either slab or upright but mine is the series I 115 :bag::D

I agree that the contour switch is fun, can't believe that I noticed that post last time I was on this thread.

17. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I found while I used a Realist (copper foil) pickup, for nearly 10 years, that it has an extremely hot signal, into the front end of any amplifier. So my educated guess, is that it will play better with the GK, using the HPF Series at the input, between the pickup and the amp. You'll be able to use the volume control on the HPF to adjust the gain before it hits the single gain control on the GK, and roll of the lows, so they won't hit the speaker with infrasonic frequencies, that ruin the sound, overtax the amp and distort the speaker.

Ric

18. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    I also found that my Fishman Full Circle has a really hot output (even for the active input on my GK) and the HPF series 3 fixed that right up. Mine has a master volume and I still had troubles with my FC (and before that a Realist copper).

19. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    This is also true for the Headway EDB-1 that's a Class A Pre amp with 2 FET stages. David Gage developed a padded cable to attenuate the signal from the Realist so it doesn't overdrive the Headway's Channel 1 input. Johnas Losse has a way to modify the box that does the same thing. The Ehrlund pickup works fine directly into the Headway EDB-1. The Realists works really well with the older GK's (200MB, MBS, MBE ect.) so does the Full Circle.

Ric

20. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    I'm fine now, it's just that I had troubles before the HFP. I was just saying how well it worked but it came out wrong.