1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB2-500

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by arseniotall, Apr 15, 2009.

1. arseniotall

arseniotall

Dec 24, 2005
    dc
    Just got this thing in the mail today thanks to a fellow TB'er on the EB side. My first impressions are ... WOW :D . I cant believe how small this thing is. Its alot lighter than I thought also. My reasoning in getting one is that I really was pretty happy with my backline 600 just wanted to get a lot smaller. Well I got alot smaller and alot louder at the same time. I must say that it is a slight brighter than the usual GK sound set flat which I think is a plus. Plugged it into a MBX112 first and then a Wizzy 10. Both produced sounds that I can definitely enjoy with the Wizzy giving better clarity but with a little less lows. On my way to a gig now with the wizzy to see how it holds up, but I really don't have any doubts. Neither one of these speakers I'm using can handle the MB2-500 anywhere near noon without some farting. This thing gets LOUD. AND GOOD WARM LOUD NOT ANNOYING HONKING LOUD. Anybody else using these for upright? If so I would love to hear your experience/review. I will pop back with a review after my weekend marathon gigs.

2. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Arsenio, I hope you have good luck with your new amp. Being a long-time GK fan, I thought about getting an MB2-500 since they were first announced. I've been sitting on the fence however, since the predictable growing pains for a new design have been covered in detail over on the EB side. Although I never doubted the MB2 would sound great, I've been waiting for the dust to settle a bit.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I know Im crossing into the Dark Side, but I love mine. Im not sure what its like on a DB, but I can speak for its amazing tone.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Since you bought it used, what series is it? Look at the serial # to determine that. The earlier ones had the eq set a bit differently than what GK usually does (when you think it's flat). The MB-500 is based off the GK 700RB-II.

5. arseniotall

arseniotall

Dec 24, 2005
    dc
    yea im hip to all the problems and was waiting for the dust to settle too. I have the A05 version. So far so good, but I havent tested the headphones yet. Just used it on a 4 hour gig and purposely left it on during the breaks. No problems(knock on wood). I cant say how much i'm impressed with this thing. I had the damn thing at 8:00 and was still to loud.

6. Just one question - does it have a phase reversal (polarity) switch?
    That would be nice feature for an upright...
    Thanks!

7. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Very interested in your comments and thoughts on the MB500

Havent seen a MB2-500 in Japan yet but it is on my list . Am putting together a super lightweight travelling cab and head.

I have the GK mbx112 cab. That and a ???? head will fit in my suitcase , travelling from show to show for the summer outdoor festival circuit.

8. arseniotall

arseniotall

Dec 24, 2005
    dc
    I have the exact same setup, but I have been using only the wizzy 10 so far on gigs. But the MBX sounds nice in my house with the MB2-500 fwiw.