1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK MB200 Micro Head with Double Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Mike Law, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Mike Law

Mike Law

Sep 16, 2014
    CT
    Has anyone used a double bass with the GK MB200 micro head? If so how is it and what cab do you use? Thanks.

2. Yes, I did.
    Nice head, but not flat-sounding.
    It's colored toward the high-end, so it's probably better to have a darker cab with it.
    I had a Wizzy 10 but it was not a good match to my ears.

cdavisshannon and Mike Law like this.
  3. I've used my MB200 for double bass often and it has been a useful bit of kit. I initially used it with an EA Wizzy 10, but I'm currently using a home built 1x10" with a Faital 10fe200-4 which is somewhat smoother in the upper mids and treble.
    The MB200 does have a baked-in voicing with all the knobs at noon, but it can be dialled close to flat by backing off the treble and bass controls and turning up both midrange controls a small amount. Talkbass member FDeck had determined the optimally flat settings, which you should be able to find with a search.
    With the 1M input impedance of the MB200, many piezo pickups will work satisfactorily without a preamp. If you have a cab with low sensitivity or play at very high volumes you might prefer a more powerful amp, though it has always been sufficient for my needs. If you do run out of steam, the limiter is well implemented so it will tend to compress rather than sounding excessively distorted.
    I like mine, and feel it would be hard to beat without spending substantially more.

Jeff Bonny and Mike Law like this.
  4. Mike Law

Mike Law

Sep 16, 2014
    CT
    thanks very much, very interesting.

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    All the comments here jive completely with my experience. I've used the MB200 with very efficient not too bright sounding Bag End S15 cabs and gotten excellent results. Using it with a much thinner sounding much more power hungry EVM-15B in an EV TL606 cab I had to run the amp harder, lost a lot of bottom and didn't like it it much. Matching it with a cab you like is essential.

6. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    try the aguilar 250

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    You mean the Aguilar TH350? I own one and use it a lot with the DB and the Bag End S15 cab. I play loud and it works well for me but might be a little too colored towards the harmonic distortion of a tube amp for some people though. It also costs $200 more. The GK voicing while not my absolute favorite is flexible, easy to use and really seems to work well with a wide variety of pickups and instruments. The MB200 is such a useful little amp for not much money it's hard not to recommend it.

Mike Law likes this.
  8. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Mine works great for smaller gigs and practices.
    K&k bassmax into GK MB200 into a Baer ML112.
    I roll the bass back to about 9 o'clock.

R Baer and Mike Law like this.
  9. Another vote for MB200 coupled with a Bag End s15, but it can get boomy.

What I'd like to find is a single 10 or 12 cab that sounds like my original 1985 GK 200MB combo, only with a bit more volume. Even at 100w it's a wonderful combo amp! The MB200 head is similar but still looking for a (affordable) small cab.

Mike Law likes this.
  10. Mike Law

Mike Law

Sep 16, 2014
    CT
    I am probably going to try the MB200 with the Eden EX112 cab. Anyone else try this?

ColdEye likes this.
  11. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Bass into FDeck 2 into Sansamp Para DI into MB200 into Fearless F112 (not exactly "affordable"). Spectacular!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Groove Doctor likes this.
  12. nickbass

nickbass

Apr 29, 2005
    Northants, UK
    I use the
    Gallien-Krueger 112MBX Extension Cab for Micro Bass

..seems OK!

Chris204T likes this.
  13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I'm quite happy with my MB200 head. When I got mine, I hooked it up to a real time analyzer and found the "flat" settings:

Contour = Off
    Treble = 10:00
    Hi-Mid = 2:00
    Low-Mid = 1:00
    Bass = 10:00

I don't think a flat voicing is the holy grail, but in my experience it's the preferable starting point for finding a good EQ on DB.

14. I have an MB800, which is much the same thing, just a bigger output. I like the baked in GK sound. I am currently running it into one Barefaced One10 cab, soon to be supplemented with a second one. The sound suits me just fine, I have found my Holy Grail. I was previously running it into a Greenboy fEARful 12/6, which sounded superb, but even though the Greenboy was not heavy, my crumbling vertebrae dictated I use very light gear.

15. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

16. andy rice

andy rice

Jul 30, 2006
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sales Engineer, Sweetwater Sound
    I Have one that I use with an Eden ex110 cab and it sounds good to me. Many, many gigs on it and it's still kicking after a few years.

17. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I have a Bergantino 2x12 cab. Is that a good combination with the GK MB200 head?

18. I'm not sure you'll have enough power from the MB200. (at least enough headroom)

jeffpau likes this.
  19. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Don't think that's right. It's a really surprisingly loud head, even into an 8 ohm Fearless F112: way more than necessary to drive an 18 piece big band with 3 vocalists—and no sense of hitting a ceiling on big notes.

20. I used to have an Fusion 500MB which was excellent except it had a fan which would kick in randomly. Not a problem on a rock gig with the EB but was an issue in quieter acoustic environments with DB. From memory the 200mb has no fan... (?)