Glockenklang Blue Soul problem? SOLVED!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dutchbassist, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Dutchbassist

Dutchbassist

Jan 14, 2015
    Hi all,

I hope there are other Blue Soul users willing to chime in....

I had problems with my Glockenklangs Blue Soul preamp since the beginning, almost three years ago, but I didn't use it as my main amp and if I did I mostly used the poweramp section.
    My 3 year warranty is running out so I want to sort things out.

One problem is that the gain knob produces distortion/static noise. And not only when you turn it but its also close to impossible to find a setting where the distortion dissapears. And I don't mean the distortion that is supposed to happen when you turn the gain high up!

Second 'problem' is when plugged into the preamp at the front that even with the gain knob completely turned off, there still is a considerable amount of signal comming through! Do other users experience this?

Third 'problem' is when I use only the poweramp, by plugging into the effects return, the gain/distortion light is often lighting up. How is this possible? You would think that signal is not allowed to get into the preamp section!? Like some kind of feedback is going on inside the circuit?

Could these things be connected? Anyone recognize this?
    Thanks a lot for any help!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I don't have the distortion in the preamp or static noise but I do have the light come on just like yours when I use the effects return with a outboard Pre I can't explain that either?

3. Dutchbassist

Dutchbassist

Jan 14, 2015
    Ok, thanx. But do you still have a signal with the gain turned off?

4. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    Yes the light comes on when you hit it hard>This is with thePre gain and the Gain Trim both completely of.What I use as the volumes now are the Master Volume and the Effect/MP3 control and also the Effect /MP3 gain control.Basicly the upper Effects is about 0-5 gain and the Bottom is full up then Master volume the volume you need overall.Somehow using the Effects Return it goes back through somehow and will light the Pre clip Light but don't know how.You may be able to contact Glock but from experience it take a long time for them to reply back ?

5. Dutchbassist

Dutchbassist

Jan 14, 2015
    Hi Foderaman, yeah, that is one of the strange things, but what I actually meant was, when you use the normal input at the front and the gain is completely turned off, there is still a lot of signal coming through!
    Do you experience this?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It sounds to me that your Blue Soul is not operating properly. Have you spoken to anyone at Glockenklang or at the store where you purchased the Blue Soul? I would definitely have them check it out, especially since it is still under warranty.

7. Dutchbassist

Dutchbassist

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes, that is clearly the case!
    I am writing an email to Helge at Glockenklang right now. I got the amp from Glockenklang directly, as part of a "deal", btw.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am sure that Helge will take care of you. :thumbsup:

9. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I will need to check on mine?I was just using the effects return and power amp to drive a Monique>So the preamp knobs where completely off but still lite up even though I was not using other input jack at the front of the Blue Soul>I will serif mine still sends signal through pre input jacks with the Gains completely off and let you know.

10. Dutchbassist

Dutchbassist

Jan 14, 2015
    Yep, they have a name as a high end brand (which they truly are) to defend, so I'm sure your right ;-)

tombowlus likes this.
  11. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I was able to check on my Blue Soul just now and yes mine even with the Gains totally off I still get sound out of the BS but it is not loud enough to play at Gig volume.When I raise the Gain the amp gets loud like it should but on mine there is no Static or scratching noise.So my Blue Soul does the same as your but without the static noise.It looks like even with the Pre gains all the way off there is still signal getting to the power amp section.Let me know what Heige says to you when you find out?

12. Dutchbassist

Dutchbassist

Jan 14, 2015
    Thanks for checking!
    So the sound coming through with the gain knob off seems to be 'normal'.
    I'll let you know what Helge says about my issues.

13. Dutchbassist

Dutchbassist

Jan 14, 2015
    Glockenklang solved the problem for me.
    There was only one real problem with the amp, and that was the gain knob wich was faulty.
    After they recieved my amp they did the repair within 24 hours and send it back that same day. So thats great service!!!
    Below this I will post the replies from Helge (from Glockenklang) with his anwers on the questions in my first post.

14. Dutchbassist

Dutchbassist

Jan 14, 2015
    Here are the answers from Helge at Glockenklang on my questions:

One problem is that the gain knob produces distortion/static noise. And not only when you turn it but its also close to impossible to find a setting where the distortion dissapears. And I don't mean the distortion that is supposed to happen when you turn the gain high up!
    >>>This was a faulty pot which they replaced!

Second 'problem' is when plugged into the preamp at the front that even with the gain knob completely turned off, there still is a considerable amount of signal comming through! Do other users experience this?
    >>>Answer from Helge at Glockenklang:
    This is normal, the gain knob is no volume knob, it controls the gain signal. That's why the scale goes from 1 to 9

Third 'problem' is when I use only the poweramp, by plugging into the effects return, the gain/distortion light is often lighting up. How is this possible? You would think that signal is not allowed to get into the preamp section!? Like some kind of feedback is going on inside the circuit?
    >>>Answer from Helge at Glockenklang:
    This is because the point of measurement for the Gain LED is behind the preamp and effect loop.

palmann likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021