1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

glockenklang soul question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schwartzbass, Mar 24, 2013.

1. I'm thinking of purchasing a glockenklang soul head. My question is will it have enough power to drive a single 15 8 ohm cabinet in small club venues? I play classic rock.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Volume should be OK. Not sure I would choose that head for classic rock with a one way 15, but a good player can of course make anything work in any situation.

Very relaxed upper mid response, and a very hi if upper treble extension. Not exactly what I would choose for a 15 one way cab in a classic rock setting.

3. ok, thanks for the response. I've had problems with my ampeg
    head and I'm getting tired of lugging it around. i bought a
    tc electronic head but it lacks in tone and punch. I bring it along just in case the ampeg goes out. How about the puma
    500 tecamp ?

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Wow. You're transitioning from Ampeg to Glockenklang? (Or even Ampeg to TC Electronic, or Ampeg to Tecamp?)

That's like trading up from an Edsel to a Porsche! :p :ninja:

MM

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The Puma500 is a great amp also, and is more punchy than the Glockenklang. Great head, but very clean and VERY different from the Ampeg. That could be good or bad.

For classic rock with a 15" one way cab, and coming from Ampeg (and if reliability and easy repair if needed in the US is key), I would highly recommend you at least try the Aguilar TH500. Very light, very loud, and it can grunt and grind a bit (i.e., it is voiced to just sing with a P Bass and old school cab as an example). The Aguilar bag (available from their website is top notch also... lots of protection).

You can order one from Musician's Friend and you have 30 days (I think) to try and return if you don't dig it. I'm very impressed with the head. Aguilar doesn't participate in Musician's Friend's constant 10% or 15% off sales, but if you call them, they will discount the Aguilar gear for you on a one time basis.

Very nice option for the Ampeg set. MUCH wider and bigger sound than the TC head, but still not 'hi fi modern/clean like the Glock, or very clean like the Puma.

IMO!

6. I decided to purchase a glockenklang soul and it really sounds
    great thru my ampeg classsic 15. the low notes sustain nicely
    with no distortion. My stage volume was about 5 on the gain
    and volume and it seemed to keep up with everyone. today
    i went to guitar ctr and plugged into a tc electronic bc410 and
    was surprised that I had less volume. I'm confused because i
    thought a 4ohm cabinet would be louder. If I still decide to get
    another cabinet , what would be my best option?

Attached Files:

7. A second cab just like the one you have now.

8. ^Exactly.