1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going from a Hartke 4.5xl to a hydrive 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnnyLiBass, Feb 16, 2013.

1. I'm keeping it in the family, but looking to change it up. Has anybody made a similar switch?

I don't play any gigs bigger than your typical bar gigs, will 112 be able to push enough air to keep up with two guitars and drums?

I'm planning to keep my head the same. An ampeg b2r that does 200w @ 8 ohm and 350w @ 4 ohm.

Here is the current rig for reference : 1361026545550.

Thanks for the input!

2. There is no replacement for displacement. Two 112's might be enough for some, but it wouldnt be for me.

3. How does your current rig hold up against the band at the gig? Your 410 would be louder than a 112 but that depends on the volume level you need. For me, I'd want at least a pair of the 12's as I do not expect guitar players to play nice all the time.

4. It works well actually. Cuts through nice my current head only delivers about half of what the cab can handle so I've got lots more volume left but I haven't needed it.

Part of my motivation for downsizing is that I'm losing my music room in about 9 months... hooray for babies. Kid's already crampin my style. :rolleyes:

Id hate to end up with a smaller cab only to find out that I need 2 of them to keep up and have a bigger rig than I started with! Haha.

5. That is most likely what will happen.

Your current cabs power rating is only what it takes to melt the voice coils at a given test frequency - NOT what it can handle power wise mechanically.

Depending on your use of low end EQ, your cab can hit its mechanical limits at around 1/2 the power of their wattage rating.

So...........the idea that your cab is only getting "half what it can handle" is most likely false.

6. I obviously have some misconceptions about power usage.

With that in mind... I do tend to use a fair amount of low end, not reggae low, but still.

How can i ask this question....

Would a 12"driver be able to handle more low frequency at a given power level than a 10" without "melting the voice coil," as you put it? All things being equal...

Man... I hope that made sense.

7. I guess what I'm asking is could a 212 rated for the same power handling at the same load handle more low end than a 410... I guess. Ha.

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I wouldn't think so
    Keep what you have.

9. Noted. Sticking with it. Thanks guys.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    2 12s can be enough depending on the gig, and would certainly be easier to haul than that 4x10.

if it came to pushing things a bit, i'd expect the 4x10 to win out, though.

11. I just read about the xsonics 212cf... 800w @ 4ohm... that would do nicely i think. At almost $900 I'm not sure I could swing it though.