1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gold Plated Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bass_Xtremist89, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Bass_Xtremist89

Bass_Xtremist89

Oct 29, 2006
    hi,

Does anyone know who manufactures gold plated strings? I think I heard D'addario makes them but i'm not sure. Even if they do, i'm not a big fan of D'addarios. :scowl: To have a gold plated string that sounds and feels like a Dean Markley NPS medium 4 or 5string set would be sweet. Anyone know who makes em?

Cheers :bassist:

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Optima Golds are the only ones I know of and good luck finding them. A guy was selling them on ebay a couple of years ago, you might try there.

3. John Entwistle used gold plated string in his later years.I'm pretty sure they were Optimas. ;)

4. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I have been hoping DR would come out with at coated Gold string. I do remember in one of the Bass Player issues that did a comparison and one of the sets was Gold. December 2004 called "String Thing".

5. Gary Castellucio on Ebay still sells Optima golds at a fair price. Great strings that last a long, long, long time.

Jay

6. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    I 'v installed Optima Gold strings on my AEB, they sound like "standard" strings, nothing special.

Peronnally, i prefer the DR or Dean Markley Blue Steel.

I've paid them 24euros in Deustchland.

I understand that John enhtwishtle used to use these kind of strings because they sound very crispy/clear?

I hope that the "coating" with gold 24K will help the strings to last:)

7. If it is 24K, I don't think they are going to last very much... 24K gold is quite fragile and soft.

8. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I have one question for you: Why?

9. Because.

10. GearGod

GearGod

Aug 10, 2006
    Akron, Ohio
    PERFECT RESPONSE!

11. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Yeah, why? Ironically, the only brand besides Optimas that are "gold" are Dean Markley's.

*that I know of