Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Golden Bullet mic with GigPro preamp!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by panos, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Hi all,
    I'd like to report my experience of using the K&K Golden Bullet mic with the GigPro preamp.
    I use the Gigpro with my RSolo for the last three months with succes. But this preamp has the extra ability to power condenser mics that work with 9V. I decided to try it with a mic, and i ordered the K&K GB mic alone without its preamp box.
    Briefly, i have to say that the sound result is very good!

The set-up is:
    >>The mic mounted on the bridge and looking to the G f hole
    >> then to gigpro preamp (which is mounted behind the tailpiece), with the gain flat (12o'clock), bass and treble flat, low cut filter turned to 3 o'clock position
    >> then to the effects return input of the instrument channel of Focus, having at the same time the effects blend knob turned fully clockwise
    (i have to mention that i use the low or high Z input of the same channel for the pick-up)

With this setup I can blend the pu signal with the mic signal. The amount of the mic signal is controled by the volume knob of gigpro.

IMPORTANT:
    I believe that the low cut filter of Gigpro is extremely useful and does a great job! When it is fully turned counterclockwise (that means it doesn't work at all), the sound is very boomy and feedback comes very easy. But when i start to turn it clockwise progressively, boominess dissapears and the whole thing becomes very resistant to feedback even at higher volumes. I found that the 3 o'clock position works best for my bass.

I'd like to know if someone else has tried the same combination, or to discuss your opinions about it.

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    panos, thanks for posting this. I have a Golden Trinity and a GigPro, but I have not tried them together like you have.

I agree w/ you about the usefulness of the HP filter on the GigPro. I adjust mine until I can hear it working within the lowest two octaves on my bass.

When I run my Rev SOLO pickup into the GigPro and then into my Series I Contra, it seems to me that the tone sounds more controlled, fuller and more authoritative. And the tone up in TP that's unaffected by the HP filter sounds pleasingly thickened.

I noticed you're using a Focus. I guess for us anyway the GigPro and AI gear seem to work well together. Quite honestly I hadn't thought of using it with the Golden Trinity.

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    panos, the way you use the effects loop to blend a pickup and a mic without an actual blender/mixer, why that's also "Brilliant!"

[​IMG]

4. Yes, i think it works the same for me (till E or F on the G string).
    I'm glad you find it interesting. I must say that it is the architecture of the Focus preamp that really helps to blend the two signals: when the effects loop knob is turned fully clockwise, we can hear 1)the pickup signal-from Z input- which remains the same, and 2)another signal which is entered to the effects return input.

5. RShew

RShew

Mar 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have a focus II and when I read your description about the sound you were getting from their preamp...I yelled amen. I have been trying toget a good sound from the bugger and have tried numerous cabinets thinking that would help. All seem to lack something. I think a gigpro might be my answer. Which one do you use? I still don't understand why you don't run the mic through the mic input on the focus since it supplies phantom power. My do you run the pickup through the gig pro as well?

6. I refer to the LR Baggs Gigpro preamp.

I suppose that this can't be done because the GB mic needs a 9V power supply (from a common 9V batterie), the mic channel of Focus provides 48V phantom power which can maybe destroy it.

I used to do that. I just changed the setup for a while in order to experiment with this mic. But even with this setup, I still use other preamps for the pickup like K&K or Paradriver, i'm getting a much better tone. The reason is that i'm not so happy with the preamp section of the instrument channel of focus, but that's another issue.

7. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    RShew, I thought it might be worth pointing out that the L.R. Baggs Gigpro does color the sound IMO. I could be wrong, but I think it introduces a mid-range scoop, which you may or may not like.

I happen to like this effect with my Series I Contra, since it seems to eliminate a subtle styrofoam-ish tone that lies somewhere in the mid-range (and comes from that 5" driver I think). I've always been a little disappointed with that characteristic of my Contra's tone, but the Gigpro scoops it away.

On the other hand, I did not care for the Gigpro's color when I sent it into a Wizzy combo. The EA preamp and cabinet do something special in the way they present the mid-range (IMO). But to my ears the Gigpro somehow negated a great deal of that clarity, presence, and articulation. So w/ the EA amp, I do not use the Gigpro.

All this may or may not apply in your case, or be agreed upon by everyone else. Just offering my experience FWIW.

Oh ... And don't forget Panos' advice re: the high pass filter. When it is disengaged (with my rig, my ears, et al), the result for me was a serious low end mudslide.

8. RShew

RShew

Mar 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks guys. I am actually looking to change the sound of the Focus as I am not happy with it as well. I feel that despite the cabinet (LDS, EA, Flite, etc,) that the mid ranges are very pronounced. I am getting tired of trying new cabinets as I keep doing this and not enjoying the results. I figure a preamp is my last ditch effort. I was looking at the LR Baggs Gigpro and notice there is not a lot of eq on it. Is this a problem? Do you need more eq possibilities ever? To me when i usee the high pass filter it seems even more "synthetic" sounding.

9. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    RShew, you mentioned that the mid-range is pronounced moreso than you like. I noticed that all three of the cabs you listed (EA, LDS, and Flite) are from what I understand kinda known for their "accuracy" in the mids and treble. In other words, these cabs probably "bite" pretty well, and maybe you just don't need or want that.

Anyway, if you want less mid-range, the Gigpro will do exactly that IMO. I detect a broad and deep mid-scoop with the Gigpro that makes things sound fatter and more "tube like" if you will, but arguably less "accurate". That's just my ears, my opinion, FWIW.