1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Golden Corral = Human Feed Lot?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by richnota, Mar 7, 2010.

1. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I keep seeing ads for an "all you can eat" restaurant called "Golden Corral"

Im a big guy who likes eating way too much. That said, I've never left a good restaurant thinking "i wish i could have eaten more"--most serve huge portions.

So I wonder what sort of person an "all you can eat" restaurant appeals to.

Worse, how about a "discount all you can eat restaurant" like Golden Corral. Ten bucks? Sounds scary.

Corral? Is this where the human livestock lines up to put on pounds before they're slaughtered?

Never been to one. Are they scary

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Makes you wonder what's trying to eat us, and why they'd go for the lower grade cuts that would likely be eating there.

3. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I hate Golden Corral. It just makes me sick. ****** food and behemoth people shoving food down their throats like they haven't eaten for weeks. Also people act crazy in the lines; cutting and just being really rude. Also every damn time I've gone people put their dirty plates on my table.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Wow, Golden Corral is still around? I ate there once when I lived in Orlando (which has to have more chain restaurants than anywhere else in the world) a long time ago--bleh.

5. They built a new one in my parent's town in arkansas. It's terrifyingly full every time I drive by.

6. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Never been, probably never will go. They sponsored the NFL Combine on the NFL Network.
    The only buffet I like is at my local Indian restaurant. I always eat too much, but it's worth the pain.

7. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Never been to a Golden Corral, but I enjoy some OCB every once in a while.

8. now i have this image in my head of a row of people at a feed trough scarfing a crapload of cheap greasy nasty salt laden chow...

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Inactive

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The first and last time I ate at the 'Corral I threw up in the parking lot.

I ate a normal amount (abnormal really, restaurant quantity), I'm not down with the buffets.

10. YAK!!!

Here in Florida, all the old folks, sneeze and fart around the food. NO thanks!! Any buffet sort of creaps me out like that.

11. aikakone

aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    Louisiana
    I used to go to the one in Jasper, Texas frequently enough. (Not ALL the time, but definitely more than once.) Not all GCs are bad. That one was award-winning. (Their plaques were displayed with pride.)

Some people just like buffet restaurants for variety. It saves the guess work when so many family members may like different things.

Oh, and the GC dinner rolls are freakin' awesome.

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Never been to a GC, but if they're like every other all you can eat buffet, I'll pass.

13. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    My boss at the day job likes to go there for lunch. It's not that bad. Pork chops and baked potato are ok.

14. When I saw the thread title, for some reason i thought of "Soylent Green".

15. The owner of the company that contracts me 90% of the time. Sad, really. The guy makes a good bit of money (easy 7 figures) and can't tell the difference between buffets and decent food. He may not be the standard customer, I don't know. To the possible detriment of my contract, I make an excuse every time he asks me to lunch. I'd rather eat chicken Mcnuggets.

Mike

16. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I hate buffet food.

I've never left a buffet thinking "I'm glad I ate there."

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    oh, man. there's an indian buffet in downtown berkeley called india palace. $8 lunch buffet. ...it might have to be a weekly thing for me. *salivates*

chinese food buffets are usually pretty bad, too, but there's one in bloomington, indiana, that just rocked my face off. forgot what it's called. :meh:

there's also a sizzler in albany (town just north of berkeley) that's next to the taco bell that i eat at occasionally. haven't been to a sizzler since i turned, like, ten. :D

18. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Heh :)

I went to Golden Corral when I was in Orlando in December, I actually went twice. The first restaurant was kind of shabby, but the second one was much nicer, it looked new.

But damn, the amount of food there was obscene. The first time I went there I practically came rolling out. The second time I went I had a bit more sense and didn't eat as much.

The food was okay, not bad for 10.99$ or whatever it was.

But we did see a lot of people stuffing their faces to the point of absurdity, so yes, in that sense it is a human feed lot.

19. Lunarfall

Lunarfall

Jul 11, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Is it ironic that Guitar Center and Golden Corral have the exact same initials (GC)? Perhaps I should start avoiding places that initial as GC.

20. I don't know what buffet's are like in the US but in Canada they rule (but are usually more expensive).

All-you-can-eat's are great. One of the nicer pub/restaurants in town here has all you can eat ribs on Wednesday's for $20. It comes with choice of side and soup/salad bar.

When I lived in Montreal there were two really good ones I liked. One was a smorgus-board for $20 and had everything from crab legs, grill your own shrimp, ribs, chow mein, lemon chicken, chicken wings, wonton soup. desserts, hundreds of trays.

The other was called Hot and Spicy. $35 for your seat and was a lot more upscale, aimed at upper class business meetings and such. You ordered from a menu but you just pay for the seat, and you can order 5 dishes each at a time. They had a lot fancier things on the menu and I realllly recommend it. Not a thing to do all the time, cause it's expensive as heck, but definitely fun. If you get a group of like 8 then you get a discount because you can buy the table instead of the seat.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020