1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Golden Trinity/Solstace Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jason Hollar, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Anyone currently using one of the K&K Golden Bullet mics with the DTAR Solstace specifically?

I've finally got some dough and am looking to add a mic (can't quite afford the coveted AMT) and a smaller cab along the lines of a Wizzy for quieter, more intimate jazz gigs.

I've got the louder/bigger rigs covered -- but wanted to see if anyone was using this specific mic with the the Solstace pre. I've heard good things about both.

I'll also be blending a Full Circle or Barbera depending on the gig...

I enjoyed the Vote A Mic threads as well as some of the other, but mostly older threads on the GB mic.

2. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    One of my basses has that combination - golden bullet, solstice and full circle. They all work fine together. I didn't start out with this configuaration - it sort of evolved. Actually, (to my ears and on this bass) the full circle doesn't work so well. I'm selling it soon.
    Not to talk you out of a GB, but I'm using an Audix 20i blended with a Revolution Solo on the other bass, and that combination sounds really good. For some reason, the Audix doesn't feed back quite as easily as GB. I can't remember exactly, but I don't recall audix costing a whole lot more.

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I have a GB, but I haven't ever tried it with my Solstice.

FWIW, I've found that the mid EQ dial on the Solstice is real good at fighting feedback w/ my AMT mic. You may or may not dig the effect on your tone. I like everything else on my rig set flat.

Cutting the mids on the D-TAR like this gives me much more usable mic volume before feedback. Might do the same trick for the GB.

4. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Hey -- that Audix looks nice! It appears very similar in size and design to the Audio Technica Pro 35 mic.

My sax player uses an AT clip-on. I was checking it over at a gig last week -- and wonder how that clip-on clamp might work on DB. He said you have to really watch the skinny cable -- it's easy to step on and short out the signal...

Both clips on the Audix and AT seem a little small to open up and get a good hold on the bridge. How do you clamp your mic on the bass?

The AMT seems to solve this probelm with a huge clamp device on the side of the instrument -- or the newer, tail-piece mount option. Still, not sure if I can shell out near a grand for the AMT & proper pre...is it that much better???

Another recent thread was talking about the Crown GLM/Fishman blender option...

5. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Steve -- would you mind running your GB through the Solstace for me?! I'd love to hear what you think!

Jason

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I'll check it out over the weekend and let you know.

7. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Do a search for "audix 20i" and you'll find a thread with pics on installation.
    In both cases, we're using the drum package.
    Mine has a wood extender velcroed to the inside of the tailpiece. The whole thing comes right off if needed. Your sax player is right- I keep the wire coiled up and attach the mic cable to the tailpiece.
    The other method uses a wood block attaced to the inside of the fingerboard.

8. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
  9. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Okay, I compared my K&K Golden Bullet and my AMT through the Solstice. The GB mic went -> Golden Trinity stereo preamp -> D-TAR Solstice -> iAMP 200 C Wizzy combo.

I put the GB in three spots on my bass where I knew I liked what the AMT sounded like. This was a living room test and was not under gig conditions.

I thought the GB through the Solstice sounded fine. As you would expect, the sound of the AMT was superior. I also preferred the AMT’s clamp mounting system, the longer gooseneck, and the shock mount. The GB seemed more prone to feedback.

After A/B’ing them, I think they’re both really good products given how they are priced and what you can do with them.