good acoustic basses? a myth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstotheface, Mar 8, 2010.

1. i didnt mean id play it in band. i meant that even with one trumpet its still pretty f'ing hard.

2. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Ah.. Gotcha.
    A jumbo body with the strings ~1/4" off the board and an aggressive pizz technique should allow one to hang with a couple guitars, assuming they're not knuckle bleeding head bangers.

3. ive narrowed it down to an abg, the washburn( any experiences with them at all guys???), m kelly, or the Ibanez AEB10. could u guys tell me the best from those? so i can do a sort of process of elimination thing

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The Washburn deep bodied ABGs sound and feel okay, but don't have as much acoustic volume as the Michael Kelly. And face it, a thinbody will project even less volume. I'd say drop the Washburn aspirations.
    The Ibanez AEB10 is in the same ballpark as the Washburn, and might possibly be rolling off the same assembly line.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I've had and flipped a couple. A very underwhelming experience.

6. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    I have three. Tacoma 5, Tacoma 4 fretless, Olympia 4. Voiced kind of like cello. Strings make a large difference in volume. I have TI flats on the 5, acousticore on the fretless and D'addarios on the Olympia. The Olympia is loudest (go figure), followed by the fretless and last is the 5 with the TIs. As above, good for a couple of acoustic guitars and voices without mikes. More than that, you'll have to plug it in. I have had 2 Washburns. Almost no acoustic volume in comparison to the others listed here. ABGs are great practice bases; don't need an amp, the action is a bit higher, and there is no pickup for a thumb anchor, so it really puts our technique through the paces.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I think that ABGs are the one thing where you just can't get a decent cheap axe... I've played a TON of them looking, and the only ones I found playable at all were at least $1200... And I'm not really a gear snob - if an SX does the trick, FINE - - but acoustic instruments are *not* electrics - - it takes real workmanship to make a good acoustic instrument, and real workmanship costs money.

Think of this as looking for a good acoustic guitar - - So think Martin, Laravee, Taylor... maybe Guild & Tacoma...

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    For more lively campfire sessions, get a small battery powered amp for a bit of help. I've got an EH Freedom amp that works really well for that, but they've been discontinued. Check Pignose and Crate.

9. I've played a few resophonic basses that all had fantastic volume. Might be tough to find, but there are a couple affordable ones on the market, and they definitely cut through better than a normal ABG.

10. Holy god!!!! I forgot all of resophonic! That would completely solve volume problem! I just meed to find a good one now! Suggestions guys?

11. Value..
    Michael Kelly for Fretless 5
    Ibanez AEB10
    Applause (don't laugh)

====
    I owned about 10 others they were either over price or almost mariachi bajo sized (if loud).

Not one I drop a ton of money on again.

12. Ive definitely made my final 2 choices. Its either a micheal kelly dragonfly 4 string fretless or the resonator i posted a link for

13. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    I love my Takamine... it's great!!

14. See if you can track down a Michael Kelly Bayou 4. It is (was? dunno if it's still being made) one of the best affordable reso basses out there. Came with a Quarterman cone from the factory!

15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    The absolute best ABG I've played is the Breedlove. The Tacoma Thunderchief was a close second. And then an Alvarez 3/4 size ABG was surprisingly loud and sounded great. I tried a Taylor a long time ago but I don't remember a whole lot about it. Michael Kelly's are "ok" but I wasn't absolutely thrilled with them. Washburn, Applause, Galveston, Dean, Ibanez, and Fender...well, expect to get what you pay for really.

I spent a lot of time researching these and playing them at stores since I was GAS'ing for one pretty bad. But the only thing I would ever buy if I had to is the Breedlove. It's only like $700 bucks new but it was the best playing and sounding of all of them.

16. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Resonators are definitely the way to go for more volume. If you can find one, Michael Kelly made one called the Bayou. I have heard good things about that one.

Moonshine :bassist:

17. stranded horse

stranded horse

Dec 8, 2009
    outer space
    [ ] yes [ ] no
    Plywood instrument for >$1000, no thanks!
    Besides, look how thin it is. I think it's made to be played amplified

18. I've got an Ibanez EWB205, and I really like the tone and playability. But it can't keep up with a loud acoustic guitar. From what I hear, none of these really do, altho some of the beefier boxes (like Dean) put out a bit more sound. But those are tougher to play, due to their size. If you want to play around the campfire and be heard, bring a battery amp.

19. LOVE my MK! Got it setup with tapewounds and I can EQ it to come very close to sounding like an upright.

No matter which one you get, you'll need a small amp as well......just a fact......plain and simple!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021