good acoustic basses? a myth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstotheface, Mar 8, 2010.

1. i didn't care for my Ibanez it was decent plugged, quiet and lacked tone unplugged.

i prefer my sigma martin.

2. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    i agree but an abg set up for max volume (ie shimmed up bridge saddle) will keep up with two acoustic guitars. some things to be aware of are that it will be louder to the other players than to you (that takes some getting used to) and it takes some practice to draw out the max volume....most people's amplified electric bass technique ain't gonna cut it. it's definitely a doable thing though if you have the will to work at it. an additional perk to getting your acoustic sound together is that your amplified sound becomes HUGE. that said i found a mandocello to be a much more satisfying instrument in terms of keeping up with the guitars around the campfire.

3. Many have considered the acoustic bass I'm about to show/mention one of the best. And,they don't cost much used (last time I checked,a/ways)!!! Which is a good thing!!

http://www.drumza.com/images/WashburnAB10AcousticBassGuitar.jpg

BTW,they have 2 models,iirc. A lower-end model (AB10),along with a higher-end model (AB40). The only acoustic/electric I'd (just maybe!) pick over it would be the Rainsong all-graphite AB. Which,is b-i-g- b-u-c-k-s,btw!
    But,I think VERY,VERY few were made,IIRC (I think they were made for Entwistle....Exclusively.)

4. Just checked. Lot of links for them on Google. look like a nice bass, but doubt it would project very much.

I fall on the side of "you will need an amp" once you get two acoustic guitarists with you.

5. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    You're so right. Strong, aggressive pizz technique with a higher action is the way to go.

No surprise the semi hollow/chambered basses will be far less prone to feedback, but I seriously doubt they produce the acoustic volume to accompany a couple guitars around a campfire. Not to mention those RA's are a pricey piece of gear to be kickin' around a campsite.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021