good acoustic basses? a myth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstotheface, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Spino

Spino

May 21, 2006
    Germany
    Don't know what they soundlike but Tanglewood make a ABG and I'd imagine they sound pretty good based on their Acoustic guitars which for the price are really excellent .

2. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    +1. I helped my buddy get one of these. They are really nice basses, all solid wood. A great value. I been looking for one for myself now. Still, they are comparable to other ABG's, volume-wise.

Moonshine :bassist:

3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    It boils down to AGB's are not generally loud enough to do much of anything unplugged with other instruments (mine is loud enough only when my gui****ist uses a 3/4 sized guitar). You buy one for it's unique voice, not it's "campfireiness". :D They have their own sound that I've found unique and useful. If you want a solution to play with guitars and don't care about the acoustic nature of your tone, get a steinberger knockoff and a pignose Hog 30 battery amp and have at it.

4. Anybody heard of Boulder Creek acoustics ?
    Boulder Creek
    There's one on E-Bay. I seem to remember hearing good things about them. Never played one myself.

5. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I've been looking for a great ABG for the last 5 years. ( un-amplified )

I've played an Old Earthwood ABG. (Simply amazing)
    And a Taylor AB2. ( sounds better plugged in)

Marco Cortes, of Marco Basses.
    Is building me his version of an Earthwood style ABG.
    It will be close to size of the Earthwood.
    And were trying to make it without a pickup.
    But, with volume to compete with other acoustic instruments.
    Should have bass in about two months.

6. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    There's a BC being used in this video. Kinda low in the mix, but still sounds nice. The fretless would be on my list if I were looking.

Yup!

7. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    It's a simple matter of physics. ABGs of today are made to handle like an electric bass. The body resonates, but is not large enough to add a whole lot of volume in the acoustic space. The Ernie Ball Earthwood's body-to-neck proportions are much different from the ABGs of today--bigger body, shorter neck free of the body. I played one in a store over 30 years ago and it had an astonishing amount of bass volume. Ernie Ball (the man) got the idea for his bass when he brought a guitarron back from a trip to Mexico. If you've ever heard a live mariachi band with a guitarron, you know they create enough acoustic volume to hold down the low end in a small ensemble.

mband_bigbox.jpg

It turns out you can get a guitarron from Musicians Friend or Elderly for about $350. It has a much shorter neck than a typical bass, but it's a 6-string, so you play horizontally more than vertically. If you want a campfire/front porch bass, this is the way to go without spending custom job money. They're tuned A-to-A like a 6-string baritone.

[​IMG]

8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  9. I took a look at the michael kelly bayou found it for 599? I think and the dragonfly fretless 4 for around 620. I need help choosing between these two please no more options before i explode from GAS intake

10. Basstotheface.

Please check your PM box.

11. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Gotta put my $.02 for the Tacoma. Nice volume in acoustic settings (with guitars, not brass!) and sounds great plugged in. I had a Washburn AB20 - very little volume. Sounded okay plugged in, but I think they used a basic guitar piezo.

12. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    no you won't. a double bass is hard pressed to pull that off.

despite what a lot of people think though you can get enough volume out of an abg for it to work without an amp with other acoustic stringed instruments. like you said in an earlier post high action and really laying into it are what make this happen.

13. I'm playing an Ovation Celebrity and I love it. It cost around 500 bucks fresh, and has a lot warmer rounder tone that the twangy Takamines I see everywhere. And since it's an Ovation, it looks great and is boss for dragging around.

14. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Don't know which Takamine you've played. Perhaps one of the lower tier "Jasmine" S Series with a poor setup and ultra bright bronze strings. I own two, and I can assure you, there's nothing twangy about either.

15. No it doesn't. No matter what ANYBODY tells you about this brand or that model, it WILL NOT keep up with (at best) more than two acoustic guitars without being plugged in.

Cold, hard fact.....accept it.

With that said, my MK fretless is a GREAT ABG! got is setup with tapewounds and it has a tone VERY close to an upright.

16. LAPetrarca is on the truth track..

I've owned a bunch.. and there are limitations.

17. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    And that's why the vast majority of ABG's are fitted with onboard electronics. They're expected to be plugged in when their acoustic output becomes inadequate.

18. ...which is why I simply buy semi-acoustic basses and avoid the hassles of feedback or changing my hand positioning to accomodate such a thick body.

19. Spade..

I've owned a few of them.. AC-60, A4 etc.. they're fragile.

20. 3 Rob Allens. Used to play them a lot in bands and gig them. Never had any issues with their durability.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021