good acoustic basses? a myth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstotheface, Mar 8, 2010.

1. I'm in the market for an acoustic bass. want a good sound, acoustic/electric would be nice but not a necessity, $0-$1000, doesn't have to be too loud not gonna play in gigs just loud enough for when i'm playing with friends that are using acoustic guitars so that i'm heard. if you need more detail just ask questions, free to answer.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Do a search. You'll find more opinions than you would want. I love my Breedlove ABG BTW.

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The Michael Kelly ABG's are great for the money. Your price range would include a used Tacoma Thunderchief. But my favorite of the genre are made by Boulder Creek guitars. They have the most volume and best tone of the bunch.
    http://bouldercreekguitars.com/acousticbass.html

But let's face it, none of these will keep up with more than a pair of acoustic guitars, and even then you may find yourself digging in fairly hard.

4. does the abg play loud enough ive heard a lot of negative feedback about its volume maybe they were just expecting too much though? whats ur experience with its volume?

5. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon

Precisely.

6. how much did the abg of yours cost? and would u have to strain to be heard when plaing it with a guitar?

7. Moonbot

Moonbot

Jul 27, 2009
  8. ive heard really good things about the victor bailey, saying the volume was great for an acoustic bass.

9. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    The short of it is... ABG's are loud enough to be played unplugged when it's you or someone else singing, and probably 1 acoustic guitar who's got a gentle touch. After that... many people singing around a campfire with guitar(s) mandolin, banjo, etc... forget it. The ABG will get totally lost volume wise.

But... if you're okay with plugging it in, it's very possible (likely even) that you'll get a type of tone that is very hard to get any other way, and some of us think that tone sounds great. Not just something "trying" to sound like an upright... it's own unique sound. I happen to love it.

Now go do a search and you'll see that this has been discussed to death :D

10. haha thanks slowgypsy. im sort of looking forward to that campfire sound now because of your post! so i guess the abg wont cut it any thoughts on the aforementioned boulder creeks? or the Tacoma Thunderchief?

11. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Definitely false expectations and user error. Try to get decent volume with low action and a light touch and you'll be sorely disappointed.
    The jumbo body ABG's will be more likely to produce a bigger sound, Tacoma, Olympia, Dean, Takamine... I'd love to try the Boulder Creek fretless.

12. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Mine cost $760. I use it to play along with my son playing trumpet and it's fine. I'm not trying to project my sound to an audience though.

13. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I have a Tacoma Thunderchief. Had it for many years. I can certainly recommend them. And some ABG's are certainly louder than other unplugged. The Thunderchief is one of the louder ones. Taylor also made one and that had some projection. And then there's always the Ernie Ball Earthwood. :bassist:

14. I've owned about 15..

The Ibanez AEB10 was the best value.. don't overlook the applause for volume.. fretless is the Michael Kelly.. rest of them (Martin, Tacoma etc) were not enough to make up for the additional cost.

YOu'll still need an amp.

15. that sounds good to i play in school band so i know you need a big sound to go over a trumpet. 760 sounds like a good price too. also i also had a thread on the Washburn AB10 Thinbody Acoustic Bass with little response. its a really good deal too its retail for 890 and i found one for about 400. anyone ever try these??????

16. arent ernie ball earthwoods like thousands of dollars though and super rare?

17. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    We're only playing in a small practice room.

Don't have any experience with the Washburn.

18. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I played a bunch and got the M Kelly for cheap ($375) not wanting to risk $700-$1k or more on so-so. I hate the inlay on the neck, but plugged in it sounds great at open mics or even bigger shows and for writing or learning a song, acoustically it sits next to me on the stand for quick inspired moments in front of the pc. With anyone on guitar that is aggressive, it's going to get drowned and I've played the tacoma, same results.

With some acoustic guitars and even a little 10W practice amp it's a party.

19. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    You won't get that from an unplugged ABG.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021