Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good amp tone settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BaSs_FrEak, Aug 17, 2004.

1. BaSs_FrEak

BaSs_FrEak

Aug 4, 2004
    my amp isnt sounded to great so can someone give me a couple of settings like bas treble and stuff like that i really need some help with my sound i do rock and metal type of music so i want something heavy ya know alright thnx

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Um, what amp there, chief? What bass?

Give is SOMETHING . . . .

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Like Eric wrote...plus, how old are your strings?

4. In general I would say keep your mids strong and don't boost your bass and treble for rock and mettle. Your current bass and rig will have a significant impact on your settings, however, so this is only a sweeping generalization.

Don't spend a lot of time tweeking your settings while playing solo. Do it while jamming with a band. Your place in the mix matters more than your individual tone.

5. Scoop the mids. That usually sounds alright on most amps.

6. BaSs_FrEak

BaSs_FrEak

Aug 4, 2004
    im using a squire p bass and a fender 400 pro head with a fender 115 im getting an aria in september though and im in a band so im not playin solo

7. You may need to add a 2x10 cab to get your desired rock tone.

8. BaSs_FrEak

BaSs_FrEak

Aug 4, 2004
    question sry im a little new at amp stuff what does scoop the mids mean?

9. Scooping the mids means to cut the mids. You know, that classic U shaped graphic EQ setting. You will hear a lot of people swear by this type of setting and a lot of people will warn against it. I am not a fan of it myself. I feel like it takes the note away from your tone and makes it harder to be heard in the mix. That doesn't mean I'm right and they're wrong. Just preference.

10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    ...when your in your bedroom. :rollno:

11. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Your rig should sound great with everything set flat(nothing boosted or cut). If it sounds less than great at this setting, something else is amiss.
    As mentioned earlier, start with your strings. How old are they? What type are they?
    From there, you may wish to swap pickups...and so a complete setup while your at it.
    After that, it's time to consider upgrading your cab.
    Lastly, we look at your amp head.

Hope this helps,

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Your amp has a lot of EQ available to really dial in the sound that you want.

Fender doesn't seem to have their owner's manuals available on-line so I can't look to see if there are any suggested settings in it. You should read your owner's manual to become more familiar with your amp (if you haven't already).

Fortunately, SWR does make their manuals available. The EQ section on the SWR SM-500 is somewhat similar with a multi band semi-parametric eq (a parametric equalizer allows you to pick the center frequency that is boosted or cut as opposed to a graphic EQ that has fixed center frequencies). If you download the manual of the SM-500 from www.swrsound.com it may be of some help.

There is a page of suggested settings on the web site, but it's kind of hard to read. True the Fender has all round knobs and the SWR has a combination of round knobs and sliders, but you can figure it out by reading the markings on the amp...

http://www.swrsound.com/products/proseries/sm500suggestedsettings.html

Hopefully this will help get you going in the right direction...