1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good bargain 5 strings out there....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baddarryl, Mar 15, 2009.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    What are the better bargain, under rated 5 strings that I might find on the used market. You know, stuff you could find sleeping in a pawn shop or on ebay for a bargain etc etc. I want a V and just don't have a lot of cash. Thanks.........

2. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Define bargain.

Get an SX five for under $150, new. Probably get a Squier Affinity Five used for that or less.

3. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    scale ? string spacing ? budget ?

4. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    say 2-400 used, no more than .75" at the bridge, 34 or 35" scale.

5. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    For my first 5ver i think i'm gonna get an Ibanex model. An SR305 i think is the one that i was looking at - under 400 if i remember right. I've heard quite a bit of good things about it - 35", active pups. Google it if you wanna know more. But i need to get a new 4 banger first so that's kinda outta the quesions for now.

6. For $300 to $400, I think your best bet is going to be ESP. I picked up my D-5 used (but I couldn't even tell; it had NO scratches, dents, dings, etc.) for $325. And it has all the nifty little features. String-thru, neck-thru (maple and mahogany five piece), with a natural satin finish, blackened nickel hardware, and active electronics... Sounds HUGE. :bassist:

7. The Peavey Cirrus BXP 5's seem nice - might just above what you are looking to spend though.

8. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Right now, used Lakland 55-02 and 55-01s are going for WAY under market....

US 55-94s and other used US Laklands are even more under market, but I assume you want under $1000...

9. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Used Peavey USA Millennium 5 or TL5. Both were $1000+ when new and play and sound like it. You can find them for around $400 if you look long enough.

10. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    i bought my squire affinity jazz V from guitar works a few weeks ago for less then what musicians friend sells them for in USD. The strings on it are very good the neck is not too thick its just all arround a very good bass. in my opinion it's better then every otehr 5'r in the store for under $600

11. Craigster

Craigster

May 17, 2008
    So Cal
    I agree with Honk-N-Down-Low. A Cirrus BXP 5 can be had at a pretty good price. It has a neck through construction. String through. 3 band active EQ and a 35" neck. I picked one up a few months ago and I'm VERY HAPPY with mine.:smug:

12. Kingston MTD. I dont know what the exact spacing is, but my pickup was put at 17.5mm, so likely 18mm at the bridge. Nice neck, no VERY nice neck. You ahve to dig on that MM-style sound though.

If you could swing a used Lakland 55-01, I think they're one of the best basses out there sub $1000. I;ve seen 450-550 used.

Definetly check out our own TB for sale pages.

13. Well ya know I'm going to say an Ibanez SR305 - new for $350 ..... same EQ as my SR405 ... thunderous lows / nice clean highs

Nice slim neck (45mm wide - 19.5mm thick at 1st)
    16.5mm string spacing
    Active 3 band EQ with "stylesweep" mid control
    34" scale & low in weight
    Nice assortment of colors - maple or rosewood fretboard

14. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I found a Japanese-made Yamaha TRB5 at a Guitar Center store. It was priced at $499 and I talked them down to $429. It's a great bass, and these went for like $2000 when they were new.

15. BTBplayer

BTBplayer

Oct 24, 2008
    Rochester,NY
    Perfect bass has an Ibanez BTB 305 for just under 500 .right now !

also , if you can go up to the 800 range , I have an MTD KINGSTON ARTIST 5 ,AS MENTIONED ABOVE , That I absolutely love ,Yes The MM sound ,which I love, but playability is crazy good !

my 2 recomendations

16. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Iotanet is accurate in everything he says about the Squier DJAV. Can't believe I forgot about that bass in my original post. Quality piece of work and at a great price.

Saw Denver and the Mile High Orchestra live. Bassist played a Douglas six string most of the night ($149 at Rondo Music) and switched out for a Squier DJAV when he wanted to slap. Said he picked it up at a GC in LA when he needed a drop tuned bass for a performance on Fox's America Next Band--or whatever it was called-- and played it that night. He sounded great on both.

17. +1 on the DJAV

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Old used Peaveys. Dyna-Bass 5, Foundation 5, Axcelerator 5, TL-5 etc.

19. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Peavey. Underrated. I have a Millennium BXP 5 wonderful balance, 17mm string spacing, a 34" scale and the B string is nice and tight with a .125 string. A lot of 34's have trouble with that thin a B.

The active electronic version the Millennium AC BXP has the active pickups of the Cirrius so is a bit better electronically. You should be able to find one new in the 230 - 290 range.