1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Good bass for HardCore ....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fozzy, Dec 7, 2003.

1. I dont think nu metal and hardcore could ever mesh. hardcore and maybe emo our screamo but not numetal.

2. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Skip the 5 string and get a precision bass.

3. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    in my hardcore band i use an sr5 >sansamp bddi > peavey firebass head > peavey 410 cab

we play more fast positive youthcrew or oldschool sounding hardcore. (there are way too may ways of discribing it these days) but yeah if you wanna hear some mp3's go to

www.thatwasthen.cjb.net

on those mp3's i just recorded direct through the line out and through the preamp out to a tube compressor, i didn't have the sansamp at the time.

the only downside to the sr5 i would say is the weight. w/ alot of movement on stage and jumps and stuff im practically stuck in bed for a day after playing a show.

-Jason Smith

p.s. concerning the comments about only using 4 string for hardcore, w/ my band tuning in standard and having guitarist playing so fast all over their smaller necks its a blessing to have the low b just to not have to switch positions every half second. its not any less punk or hardcore its just practical.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dude... Limp Bizkit. Masterful combination of hardcore and nu-metal. How could you *not* know about the Biz?

5. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    naww - bizkit isn't hardcore at all from what i can hear. compare "break stuff" to "GI Joe Headstomp" and see =0)

I'm not a huge hardcore fan although if they'd fit, I enjoyed Helmet a lot several years back.

As for which bass, well do you want to be heard distinctly, or just add some "thick" to the chords the guitarist grinds out? If the first option, then go for a Stingray, if the second then get a Thunderbird. =0) I'd stick with 4 unless you need to get down to B, but I don't remember SOIA doing that much, for example.

d

6. dude...cmon limp bizkit naaa bizkit is new metal if they even kept an ounce of heaviness from ther first record maybe but they dont hold the intensity hardcore prides itself in and durst couldnt not sound like a pretty boy if he wanted to and yes I think another good bass for this should be a rhoades flying V bass...but then again Ive never seen one. maybe because youd have to have a body bag for a case

7. kazuhank

kazuhank Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Sick of it All's first bass player used a Rickenbacker all the way... Stick with one of the four string styles like a Rick or Fender P-Bass as all the early hard core/post punk guys were into Fenders and Ricks. You do not want hi fi modern tone for hardcore, so skip all the active EMG Aggie or any other preamp equipped basses.

8. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I suggested a 4 string because I also suggested a fender p bass and they dont make a 5 string. A good 4 string precision bass can be used for anything.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I was a radio DJ at my college in the 80s. Back then the hardcore/punk bands didn't use 5 string basses. Find a P bass and play the hell out of it.

10. Whoa tiger well imm in a hardcore band and i have a 5 string aggie equiped spector and an SR5 so dont be discouraged if you have one of these basses for hardcore you can EQ all that nasty tone away with an awesome preamp..............:rolleyes: :bassist:

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sick of it all is SO ripping on Three Dollar Bill Y'all. The riffs and beats are the same, except for a couple of notes here and there. The Biz ia harder than just about any other band out there today. Where've you been?

12. we are joking right?:bassist:

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    NO. :mad:

Limp Bizkit IS hardcore. You're just another philistine who'd rather be "hip" and underground. You're just jealous of Limps success.

14. :D whatever dude listen outside the box Ive been to limps shows gotten on stage and did that whole thingy im not jealous of anything. you my friend are at one with the media apparantly and lets end this here PM if your intrested in talking i believe we were talking about basses and i still want to see a flying v bass

15. hehe

Limp are NOT hardcore try

Thrice
    Sparta
    Glassjaw
    Posion The Well etc etc

anyway...

My fav bass for din emo/hardcore would still be the good olde faithful Gibo Thunderbird V.. lotsa punch lotsa balls and the best bass to add some overdrive to.. MmmMmm and it looooves to be dug into...

o0o0...

And Gibson Grabber.....get in there.!!!!

16. LB is definitley NOT Hardcore! Check out Sick of It All, Snapcase, Boysetsfire, Pennywise, H2O, Good Riddence Raised Fist, Refused, and 59 Times the Pain just to name a few, and tell me if you still think LB is Hardcore. As far as SOIA ripping off LB, I think you have that quite backwards because SOIA was around WAY before LB, so who's ripping off who. I don't think it has to be a jealousy issue at all if LB is making money or not. Pennywise is getting paid, and they're still hardcore. It's just the simple fact that LB isn't hardcore at all, even if they're getting paid.

17. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    There's hardcore like sick of it all and maybe stretch arm strong........ And then there's hardcore like atreyu, underoath and others. I like both.

I went into fozzy's bio and it mentioned KoRn...... So I thought he meant nu-metal. But now I don't know what to think :meh:

Some hardcore bands I like to: Stretch arm strong, Zao, Underoath, The blood brothers, The backup plan, Strike anywhere, Still remains, Snapcase, Kid dynamite (Such as Cop Out),Love Me Destroyer, Kill Your Idols, Hopesfall, Glassjaw, FATA, Converge, Beauty to ashes, atreyu........ and my 2 favorites, Rise Against and Boy Sets Fire.

18. aahhhh( me watching the calvary arrive)

19. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    Halftooth, Brendan is probably being sarcastic. And if not that his problem. ;)

20. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    if by hardcore you mean hardcore punk a 4 string fender will do.(i.e. the l.A. movment and the anarchist movement)

if by hardcore you mean hard core that highly perverted form of punk that just as closely ressembles nu metal, then a 5 string will be recomended.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021