1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Good bass for HardCore ....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fozzy, Dec 7, 2003.

1. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    LIES AND SLANDER. the choice to be heard is your own..theres no rule that says you have to be some background pud when you play bass in hardcore...and i hope you are joking and dont really feel like that. i am not out there to be a stage prop and i am heard.

alot of great hardcore bands have very distinct bass in the forefront. Minor Threat/Fugazi, Black Flag, Glassjaw...im not pickin a fight but to say "go cheap you wont be heard anyway "breaks my heart. if youre not there to be heard why are you there? ou may as well join the black keys

2. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Schecter is what all the cool, drop d hardcore "bassists" rock these days. Because they have emg'z and everyone knows emgs are the best! [/sarcasm].

sorry, i love hardcore bands like devil wears prada, but despise their bassists.
    their only deviation from the root note is the occasional slide that they try to pass for a fill.

anyways, i am a big fan of ibanez 5 strings, and they won't make you bankrupt :)

3. I would suggest an Ibanez 505 or 705, both are very nice basses and have a really good tone especially for either hardcore or metal, and great response as well. I have played both and they were absolutely incredible especially considering their prices. Otherwise if you want to get a really punchy tone and got some dough to drop I would say use a Music Man product, they are amazing.

4. afrodude222

afrodude222

Aug 17, 2009
    I would put in a vote for ans ibanez sr505 i've had lots of good experiences with their basses

5. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    Basses for Hardcore... Fender P or J or even a combo. Musicman Stingray or a Ric 4003.

6. If you can't afford a Stingray but still want that low end thud, I recommend an Ibanez ATK. It'll get the job done.

EDIT: If you're doing old school hardcore then even a P-Bass can work for you.

7. youngMacJ

youngMacJ

Sep 7, 2005
    what type of bass does manny use obviously a fender but is that a deluxe of sum sort?

8. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    +1,000,000!! Amen to that! Daryl plays a Fender Jazz by the way.

11.jpg

Check this out for how it's done!

9. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    it is a 1992 Fender Precision Plus. (aka the Boner bass) the one manny and i have is pretty rare. ours were made at the end of the run. they came with lace sensors and No series/parallel switch like most of the other Boners. also theres no definate record with fender of ANY boners being made natural and maple let alone with the series parallel deleted. its a cool bass for sure

10. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    damn their sound is tighter than a dolphins ass...and so raw but dead perfect. who wouldnt kill to have a band that tight and on point and professional and still be able to rip things down. Bad Brains never stops blowing my mind

11. youngMacJ

youngMacJ

Sep 7, 2005
    what a beauty!!

12. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN

13. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY

As with most music, a P Bass will do an able job.

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    It's actually a Modulus Jazz bass I believe - there was a thread on it here somewhere a few months back

15. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    yeah its def a graphite neck and those pups look like Barts so i say its a modulus VJ but how long have they been making the VJ?? because of the 1988 daytona beah performance hes rocking that same exact bass

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I think I read somewhere his is a early-mid 80s, but don't quote me on that ;)

17. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Another picture of Darryl and his bass.

[​IMG]

Let's not forget about the mighty Klaus Flouride! DK basslines were always awesome and he is a great player! Jazz bass all the way.

[​IMG]

18. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    im still laughing. phish you just responded to a post from 2003... the best part of it is a Phish head has a deeper concept of hard core than the Limp Bizkit dude. I LIKE IT!

19. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    Yeah Klaus' Jazz made very rad sounds and cut right through. if you look at the pic of Daryl he looks (by the wall behind him and the lighting) to be in a very small space. now look at his amps. WHY ?!?!? why do you need that much power with you..I heart overkill

20. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Maybe the second one is a spare in case he blows up ther first one!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021