1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Good bass for HardCore ....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fozzy, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ding. Winner.

2. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    underoath is one of my all time favorites. i was at cornerstone in bushnell illinois this year and they were amazing. dallas put on some good shows because of something he was mad about with his girlfriend, then he ended up leaving after cornerstone which really stinks. i taped the shows, but i dont remember what kind of bass the bassist used. it didnt really matter to me what he was playing. most everyone i saw at cornerstone (christian hardcore festival) had a four string except for i remember brandston had a Gibson thunderbird V which sounded really good even tho they arent hardcore.

3. kazuhank

kazuhank Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I guess I just see the whole punk/hardcore thing as a purist. Brian Baker (minor threat/bad religion) once said [loose translation here] if it wasn't standard tuning and 4/6 string it wasn't punk. He was addressing all the drop D stuff in the early 90's and the 5/7 string nu metal.

I look at it this way Jerry Only used to string his basses E-A-E-A so that when he broke a string he could move to the other half of the neck. That's hardcore to me!

If you have to replace batteries and "EQ all that nasty tone away" it's not very punk IMHO. Punk and hardcore are all about NASTY TONE. That's why they played solid state Peavey bass amps. (and yes that's a joke, don't flame me Peavey fans, I'm one of you!)

4. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    hey notabob,
    its cool to see that there are other cornerstone goers here on tb. it is an amazing festival. i think it was either 2000 or 2001 back when underoath were totaly in that black metal phase but it was so awesome. they had on spikes and were decked out in all black and at a pause in the song dallas threw the mic up and hit the top of the tent then when he caught it the breakdown came in. everyone's jaws hit the ground.

they have had so many line up changes but the bass player that has been w/ them for a while used a blue spector.

-Jason

5. :rolleyes: i think you got what i said backwards dude And replacing batteries doesnt have anything to do with hardcore. Like I said I have an aggie equipped spector and as a joke you can EQ all that Nasty Hi-Fi sound and grind the mids..... ;)

6. change-jug

change-jug

Oct 11, 2008
    Buffalo,NY
    back to the question at hand, I think a Fender P bass is a good place to start or if ya want to get fancy you can rock the Ric 4003( I love watching the Converge dvd "the long road home" and in their earlier shows the bass player (Nate Newton?) was rocking the hell out of a Ric! I don`t think you "need" a 5 string but really that`s up to you in the long run.

7. Thorsoundcore

Thorsoundcore Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Capital district, NY
    any bass that doesn't have a mid range or treble...:p

8. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Amherst, MA
    1zw1z4k.jpg

9. Thorsoundcore

Thorsoundcore Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Capital district, NY
    ^^indeed...:)
    if i had noticed that in the first place i wouldn't have even posted!

10. xbloodpactx

xbloodpactx

Sep 6, 2009
    Philippines
    hey i am die hard for a 4 string bass! even during in my metalcore band way back several years ago, but if you prefer a 5 string bass well it doesn't matter, anyway it's still hardcore and it always comes from our hearts,the passion and the ideals are intact!

if your preference is a fatter tone, you would go for a P-bass but a more trebble kind of thing, you go for a jazzbass (correct me guys if im wrong).

I would love to have a stingray! but i will prioritize an ESP EC bass sometime soon. I just love the shape of les paul with a modern twist like jonathan buske (the meaning, ex-terror, ragmen)used to have. then aid it with a sans amp bass DI to have some options to your tones.

in the mean time, i just borrow a bass during the show coz my bass were all back in the house, hundred miles away for some reason i cant get it during tours.

it is a matter of how you would carry the thing on stage, whatever your preference would be, just listen... follow your heart! :)

11. A lot of guys in hardcore bands in Australia (Parkway Drive etc) use Stingrays. Don't get a 5 though, tune it BEAD

Edit: I've seen a couple Grabbers in there as well

12. [​IMG]
    -style hardcore

or

[​IMG]
    -style hardcore?

There is a big difference.

13. don't see many hardcore bassists playing 5 strings.

but being as how i play a stingray 4 in my hardcore band, i guess ill recommend a stingray 5?

14. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    [​IMG]
    Now Thats Real Hardcore

15. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Hardcore is: Cro-Mags, Bad Brains, Agnostic Front and Sick of it All. I say a 4 string Stingray or P Bass is all ya need bro

16. any schecter or something with EMG-HZ's would be standard

17. I'm into punk/metal/alternative rock and grunge, and play an ESP/LTD Viper 254 4-string with an active pre-amp and passive EMG 35-HZ's.

5-string ESP/LTD would be sweet for metal sounds and maybe metalcore.
    Bloody nice brand of instruments, metallica use them.

18. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    i am a big fan of Manuel Carrero's sound on glassjaw's E.Y.E.W.T.K.A.S. so much so that i had to have the bass that made the sound.

HIS
    manny.gif
    MINE
    DSC_0664.gif

AND IM NEVER DISAPPOINTED ! whent it come to hardcore this thing hits like an effin sledgehammer. stingrays are cool but i had a stingray 5 and it was just too farty and burpy and didnt have enough low end. so i sold it to buy my P/J and its never let me down

19. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I play HC music when im bored, My Schecter Elite 4 (2009) sounds great for it. Don't spend a ton on a bass, because you are playing Hardcore, you won't be heard that much.

20. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    refer to the sig

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021