1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

good blues players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nicebassplayer, Nov 28, 2006.

1. nicebassplayer

nicebassplayer

Nov 7, 2006
    I am looking for good blues bass players that play electric bass to learn new patterns. can anybody recommend? thx

2. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Check out Duck Dunn

I can recommend some artists, not the bass players though (I'm too tired to think of the bassists)

SRV
    Treat Her Right (I love this band, greatness)
    John Mayall and the Blues Breakers
    Jonny Lang

3. nicebassplayer

nicebassplayer

Nov 7, 2006
    Thank you!:)

4. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    My favorite blues bass album is B.B. King's "Completely Well," with Jerry Jemmot on bass.

Tommy Shannon (Stevie Ray Vaughan, Johnny Winter) is excellent.

Greg Rzab with Buddy Guy was fantastic, too.

5. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Not electric, but Willie Dixon is considered a giant. He plays bass on a whole bunch of records, look up his credits as a sideman at http://www.allmusic.com

Even though he plays upright, you may want to check him out.

6. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    for Jerry Jemmott. Other good albums he plays on are : BB King's Live and Well, and Freddie King's My Feeling For the Blues and Freddie King is a Blues Master. Pretty tricky lines though.

7. +1

8. Yup, Duck Dunn is the way to go! Blues beast!

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I had an album way back when. It was Eric Clapton, Albert King, and Freddie King. One of the songs was "Further On Up the Road". That's what I call rockin' blues.

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Johnny B. Gayden

He's everywhere!!

11. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Hal Leonard's selection of blues bass books (click) are pretty good. I just ordered JUMP 'N' BLUES BASS which has a CD with bass through a different channel than the rest of the band so you can turn it off to play along. Here is their description:
    Essential jump/swing and modern blues bass lines for electric and upright players. Includes lessons and music in the style of Willie Dixon, Larry Taylor, Edgar Willis, Duck Dunn, Tommy Shannon, and more! The CD includes a lives blues band with over 20 play-along tracks.

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    And Clapton wrote the song. He makes me sick.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The "bass" is a guitar played through an octave divider :crying:

The player is Mark Sandman (RIP) who later founded Morphine.

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    "Farther On Up The Road" was not written by Eric Clapton!!!

The writer credit goes to Don Robey and the orignal hit was recorded by Bobby "Blue" Bland.

15. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I have always enjoyed listening to Richard Cousins of the Robert Cray Band.

Tommy Shannon (again).

Sarah Brown (played in the Antone's House Band and with Lou Ann Barton, Angela Stralei. I also saw her play live with Buddy Guy and Albert Collins).

16. Tommy Shannon is one of my all time fave blues players.

I love Duck Dunn, Tommy Cogbill, Chuck Rainey, and the like for their R&B, and funk/soul stuff. I never really thought of Duck Dunn as a straight blues player to be honest, but he has served up some monster blues lines.

To me, Tommy Shannon is one of the most inventive blues players - I can listen to hours of SRV without ever getting tired of it and without realising that so many of the songs are really just Eb 12 bar blues! That's a sign of a really good bluesman.

I'm playing in a dirty country/blues band at the moment and I make it a mission to get through a gig without ever playing the same bass line twice. Last night we did 9 12 bar blues songs (and one 13 bar blues, a la Chuck Berry :) "I'm the singer and guitar and if I say it's 13 bars then it's 13 bars!!!") - and I had a ball!

17. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh. I googled it and found some stuff about "lyrics by Eric Clapton" - maybe I didn't check into it enough or we're talking about two different songs. Does "yours" go "Further on the road...somebody's gonna hurt you like you hurt me"?

I didn't think this sounded like something even Clapton could come up with.

18. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Johnny B. Gayden bassist with Albert Collins, killer player.

19. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    A favorite of mine is Larry Taylor, who's played with Canned Heat, John Mayall and lots of other people.

20. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    +1000
    check out John Mayal's jazz and blues fusion
    featuring Larry Taylor on bass good stuff..