Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by product 14, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Hey peoples, does anyone out there know much about the
    Gallien-Kruger microbass combos. I know alot of upright bass players use them but, are they good for electric bass sound quality wise. ARE THEY LOUD?

thanx

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    It depends on how loud you need to be. I used the head version for a couple of years with a Peavey 210TX bottom and it sounded great. Gigged with it many times.

It depends on the application. Big band/small band, big rooms/small rooms, loud guitarists/drummers, etc

3. I've heard them twice during a live gig. As a stand alone they sound IMO too shrill. Unless you add an extension cab, there are better 1x12 combos out there, i.e. Euphonic Audio combos, or get a light amp with a decent 1x12 cabinet. If you have the money, get an EA CXL112 cab, a bergantino, Epifani, Aguilar or Bagend. If your budget is lower get an Avatar 1x12 with horn. You might be surprised.

4. I have a 350x, would I be better off just buying a couple of the gk extension cabs twelve inch 4 ohm 90-100 watts $279 of would they be over powered.

5. you should give it a try. Keep in mind that you won't be using constantly 350 Watts of your amp, or it would distort.